Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95% sure I'm getting a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

95% sure I'm getting a Mirage

Hello everyone. I've been reading this forum anonymously for a couple of weeks now while trying to decide on a car. I currently have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (love it!), but the realities of graduation next year and the impending student loan repayments has made me start looking for a cheaper vehicle that I can pay off in short order. I've narrowed it down to the Mirage or a Chevy Spark. I have pros and cons for each, but in reality, unless the chevy dealer presents a deal I know they can't do I'll end up with a Mirage.

Below is my list if pros and cons for each model.

Spark pros:
    -looks better (I've always liked its looks)
    -trendy interior
    -backed by chevy (even the ignition switch!)
    -slightly smoother ride thanks to the extra weight and bigger wheels
    -15" wheels

Spark cons:
    -price higher with similar features (unless they find a way to match)
    -shorter warranty
    -slow (84hp vs 74hp, but the mirage felt faster)
    -lower fuel economy
    -it's a chevy

Mirage pros:
    -lower price
    -more features
    -better fuel economy
    -longer warranty
    -it's not a chevy

Mirage cons:
    -doesn't handle as well as spark
    -doesn't look as good
    -no XM (I have 2.5 years of prepaid service left)
    -Mitsubishi's questionable US longevity (could leave market)

I know I have price in there, but what will likely put me in a Mirage is price. The chevy dealer is working on a way to get the price the same for 1LT vs ES. If they do, it makes it a harder decision. I would likely feel better about Mitsubishi (new to my city) if the dealer that picked them up wasn't the same one that brought Suzuki to the area. I have friends who bought new Suzuki cars that lost $9000+ in value overnight because of the market pullout. Reading up on Mitsubishi, it seems they may be in the same position Suzuki was in a few years ago.

Anyway. This is my odd way of saying hello. I'll likely be in a Mirage soon and be scouting the forum for info on the only mod I would make to it: nice looking 15" rims and tires.

Hello

Last edited by VespaGoGo; 08-10-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check out the Spark forums... Sucks to be them.

Oh and welcome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Check out the Spark forums... Sucks to be them.

Oh and welcome!
    Yes...In my opinion, warranty length is most important if considering a spark. I would be very cautious considering all the problems I have read about them. Also, can they give you ALL the features of a Mirage ES(push button start for example). This is such a convenient feature for me I would not be happy with a new car that does not have this. In fact, every time I have to drop all the stuff in my hands and fish around in my pockets for keys to get in my vehicle I would be pissed. Also, consider the mileage difference. Mirage will give you mid 40's all day if you drive it right. As far as looks, put some sweet 15's on a Mirage and you'll be strait up pimpin'!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'd also recommend reading through the chevy spark forum and see what owners have to say there.

I'd also add to your list ... no spare tire for the spark. (can you tell I'm obviously biased towards the Mirage )

Welcome, VespaGoGo...

If financial consideration is a big part of your decision, don't forget to factor in running costs. Mirage has won a bunch of recognition in that department:

Mirage / Space Star awards & accomplishments

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcomes. I have been also reading through the spark forums. I do see more complaints than here. Startling until you look at the sales numbers for the spark. Naturally there will be more complaints when there are so many more units on the road. The only one that really bothers me is people talking about oil consumption. Though that seems to be pre-2014 units. The surprising thing (at least to me) is when searching outside the forum it seems that oil consumption is a problem fairly consistent across the chevy lineup....sad.

So yeah, barring them basically giving me a spark I'll likely be driving around in a new Mirage ES at the end of the month.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If what I read over there was correct, the majority of sales are to fleet buyers, rental companies, etc. One member there claimed that a major rental company was aware of the engine issues and are trying to sell them off before they hit 20,000 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also the Spark is a Daewoo Not a true Chevrolet. A car that didn't make it.in the Us.I saw on the web where you could get a New Mirage in the Pacific Northwest for less then 11.000 and with a 10 warranty you can't beat that.and there's many things you can buy to dress up your new mirage
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. I've been reading up further on the spark and it seems as though they pretty much start self destructing and using massive amounts of oil after 25k miles....no thanks!

Looks like I'll be buying a 2015 Mirage at the end of the month!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, its sad to hear of all the Spark woes. That shouldn't be the case in this day and age.

Also, its not a slam dunk, but Mitsubishi sales have been on the rise this year. I would put my money on them sticking around (as they've repeatedly said).

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)