Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealers are being deceptive with prices

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Dealers are being deceptive with prices

New poster here...

I really want to buy a new Mirage. Have driven a few and liked them. Getting a little frustrated with the dealer ads regarding these, however.

A few dealers near me have listed them on their websites for $9.9k, $10.7k, $11.9 (all DE manual, which is what I want), but there are NEVER the real price. They always tell me "oh, that's the price AFTER rebates. You'll pay MSRP and then get back $1000 (and not the military/loyalty rebates because I don't qualify).

Is everyone here paying MSRP? Can I expect to get one for less than $14k?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just completed the purchase process here in San Antonio for a new 2014 ES with CVT. The manufacturer rebates ( I qualified for the $1,000 rebate, the $250 customer loyalty rebate, and the $500 military rebate). All three rebates appeared on the purchase contract and were deducted from the vehicle MSRP price. Suggest you contact manufacturer to inquire about how rebates are being processed by that dealer. If you want, send me a PM with your name and e-mail and I will send you extensive details on my purchase experience. All documents are word documents.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just bought one and used truecar.com to get a pretty good price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just go in and tell them you'll buy it today if they'll sell it to you at invoice less the $1000 rebate. There will be a lot of hemming and hawing and complaining about how they won't be able to feed their kids if they sell it to you at that price but eventually they will give in.

For me it took a couple hours of sitting around and looking disinterested playing Angry Birds on my phone at full volume whenever there was a delay of more than 5 minutes while a manager was consulted.

I got mine to agree on invoice minus rebate after about an hour, then it turned out that they were suuuuuure they'd told me the price we'd agreed upon had included the $1000 rebate (yeah, like I would have paid over MSRP for it). Then some mystery charges appeared like $300 for window tinting and $400 for VIN etching on the windows. It took some more work to get those taken off but eventually everything was taken care of.

Just remember that everything is negotiable, even things like $299 documentation fees that are preprinted on all the paperwork. If they won't budge on a too high doc fee (I typically don't care if it is $150 or less), just get the price of the car reduced by $300. They'll give in eventually. This isn't the hottest selling or coolest new car car out there by any means -- so just be calm and name a fair price and they will go for it eventually.

Last edited by adrew; 08-12-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage was my first new car purchase ever, so naturally it was my first dealership experience as well. Good lord, it wasn't the WORST experience in the world, but certainly not a pleasant one. Can you imagine having to buy clothes in the same fashion or some other mundane object?

I think the next time I get a new car, I'm going to see about carmax or something, b/c I definitely do not want to do that song and dance again..

Anyways, yea, what you describe about dealers being deceptive with prices, that is pretty much par for the course going the dealership route.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem is that dealers keep telling me that the rebate is deducted after sales tax. Does that seem correct to people?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In Texas the rebate is applied before state sales tax calculation; however, each state may very well do it differently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my case they deducted the $1000 rebate from the MSRP before taxes. Check all their numbers by yourself and do not let them push you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x75x View Post
    The problem is that dealers keep telling me that the rebate is deducted after sales tax. Does that seem correct to people?
    Okay time for the car salesman to speak haha. In the state of Michigan, we have doc fees. Up to 200 dollars. Dealers choose. State laws say that if you charge one person a doc fee, everyone must be charged a doc fee. In the state of Michigan, rebates and incentives come off of the price AFTER sales tax. Hopefully this helps someone haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And remember, dealers make money off you financing. So if you go in and scream i want a better deal because im paying with cash that it is a double negative. Use financing as a leverage