Thread: Rubber Bump Stop on Torsion Beam

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Rubber Bump Stop on Torsion Beam

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the Philippines and I own a Mirage G4... the sedan version. I'm sure that the suspension as most everything is either exactly the same or slightly different with the Hatchback so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my question.

On the rear torsion beam, do any of the models anywhere in the world have rubber bumpstops?

I've noticed a spot on the beam directly inline with the unibody chassis where a bumpstop may be placed... in fact there seems to be a provision for one. Sadly my car and many that I have seen here do not have one.

First, does anyone know if there are models anywhere in the world where these bumpstops on the torsion beam are standard?

Second, can someone confirm if they think a bumpstop can be placed in that location to prevent suspension travel to the degree it may cause rubbing?

I used to have pics but I can't seem to locate them and the car is in the shop for some work I'm having done. But it should be pretty visible towards the curve of the torsion beam in front of the spring perches where the beam angles towards the body.

Name:  Installation Point for Bump Stop.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  17.4 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If there is a bumpstop required it would be inside the coil springs at center of perches where pretty much all coil spring suspension vehicles have them.

It appears I spoke too soon. I went out and looked at my car and found.....
    the area you speak of is simply a strengthening gusset/weld mount area, not suitable for a bump stop....
    the actual bumpstop is at the top of each rear shock absorber. When the shock compresses fully it contacts the rubber stop.
    Simple and effective.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 08-13-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: I was wrong
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-02-2021)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is possible that we don't really have bump stops on our cars because the shock may bottom out before the springs do. I don't now if this is fact, I'm just speculating. I do know that the shocks are VERY long.

On my older Chevy Cavalier, it had the identical rear suspension setup. It did not have bump stops but I was never able to bottom out the suspension, even one time when I squeezed 7 people in a 2 door coupe.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.