Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow !! cool! When I posted that link to ecomodder I didn't realize it was a site you had started Darin. I saw it in the link to the other ecomodded car you had!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Interesting, Mitsu should install automatic curtain though
    Yes! Mitsu has good experience with active aero:

totally illegal in europe to cover the whole back end.
    Every country? I've seen a full boat tail on a Citroen ZX (Lithuania): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-zx-26341.html

Wow !! cool! When I posted that link to ecomodder I didn't realize it was a site you had started Darin. I saw it in the link to the other ecomodded car you had!
    I actually liked my Insight's tail better

Name:  tail-wrapped-collage.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  54.0 KB

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uft-25223.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much of the front lower grille can we block without any adverse affects in stop-and-go traffic? I still have to drive around town a fair bit as well. Also, what can we do to fill the gaps around the hood?

There's no rule of thumb - it's going to depend on your specific driving environment. That's why automated shutters are ideal - they adjust as needed.

What you want to avoid is having the electric cooling fan coming on a lot, so if you can monitor that, it would be a good indicator. Can you hear it? Some people who do grille blocks have set up an LED indicator for the cooling fan.

Or better would be a ScanGauge or equivalent so you can monitor coolant temps accurately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I have a 1.0L European stripped naked "basic" version, unfortunately lacking a roof spoiler, but fortunately including the other aerodynamic stuff.

Just wondering how much difference it might make if did buy a stock roof spoiler, since they are rather expensive here at around €300 ($400) or so.

foama
    Last edited by foama; 08-27-2014 at 04:56 PM.

It would make maybe a couple of percent difference at highway speeds. You would probably never recover the cost in a reasonable amount of time.

The challenge of modifying an already efficient car to make it even more efficient is the cost of the modifications needs to be very small -- because the reduction in the volume of fuel used from each modification will also be very small.

So if your goal is to save money, you pretty much need to be able to make your own modifications.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, broke down and bought some coroplast from Home Depot, so I'll be working on cleaning up the underbody. Plans include air dam, side skirts, and rear diffuser. Unfortunately they only had white, so I'll have to paint it all black before it's done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Cool! Start a project thread?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Improvements on the 2017 model

... The redesign is functional as well. The front bumper features a chiseled crease for smooth airflow. The front tyre air dam is optimised, and a rear tyre air dam is added to reduce drag resistance. At the back, the new bumper is optimised for air flow while the angle of the rear spoiler has been changed to reduce lift. These enhancements reduce coefficient of drag (Cd) to 0.27.

http://paultan.org/2015/11/19/2017-m...rage-facelift/

Tire Dams (Wheel Spat)
    - front tyre air dam is optimised
    - rear tyre air dam is added

Air dam is visible - not provided in the Asian models
    Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_HR-9-850x567 tire spat (mf).jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  44.8 KB

I can't seem to find the difference between the old spoiler and the new one.. maybe a few degrees in the angle?
    Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_HR-10-850x567 spoiler (mf).jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  40.6 KB

I plan to attach Airtabs as substitute for the tire dams and also place them at the side of the rear lamp assembly. Would this make sense?
    Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_HR-12-850x567 rear lamp(mf).jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  43.4 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-14-2018),jbarr (12-02-2015),MetroMPG (12-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It would make maybe a couple of percent difference at highway speeds. You would probably never recover the cost in a reasonable amount of time.

The challenge of modifying an already efficient car to make it even more efficient is the cost of the modifications needs to be very small -- because the reduction in the volume of fuel used from each modification will also be very small.

So if your goal is to save money, you pretty much need to be able to make your own modifications.
    No VG? Have been testing them on C and it seems to reduce RPMs at 70-75mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)