Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

You know, I'm still not convinced VG's work to reduce fuel use in a hatchback application.

We've seen research showing they can reduce drag slightly on certain 3-box (sedan) designs placed at the trailing edge of the roof (Mitsubishi EVO & Renault Logan). But even then, it's only a very slight improvement (too small to detect outside of a lab) and only when perfectly optimized for height, placement & angle.

I did a "controlled as possible" A-B-A test of VG's on a minivan (Pontiac Montana, roof rack removed) and sedan (06 Corolla) and could see no difference in either case, even though it was clear the airflow was "improved" over the back window & trunk of the sedan).

The closest OEM application of VG's we see on a bluff body is on side mirrors. And the stated benefit is always noise management, not drag reduction.

I know Toyota stuck a pair of tiny VG's on the Prius C tail light assembly. Were you ever able to dig up any research info on those?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    ... The redesign is functional as well.
    Thanks for the post, Mitz. Copied to the original Mirage factory aerodynamics thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've been thinking about what else to do with the Mirage to easily bump up my mileage. I'm thinking an air dam is in order. Thanks for doing the work and testing stuff Darin!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Chop your springs an inch or so, too. :P

(Awaiting the flame war for suggesting such a thing.)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Can you tell me what the ideal coolant temp is? Mine registers around 90 degrees C on the highway trips I do. I want to try some grille blocks, but don't know what is still a 'safe' temperature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've seen mind as high as 205F / 96C in normal driving. I'm not sure what temperature the fan turns on, but it never really gets above that. 90C is completely normal for driving at any speed. I would be concerned after it starts getting above 220F / 104C.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've seen mind as high as 205F / 96C in normal driving. I'm not sure what temperature the fan turns on, but it never really gets above that. 90C is completely normal for driving at any speed. I would be concerned after it starts getting above 220F / 104C.
    Oh wow, ok thanks! That's really not bad at all.
    My car's paint is in such rough shape that I'm going full-aero this winter with coroplast and black tape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)