Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Changing 5MT Gear Oil (Manual Transmission)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Question for those who have already changed their own manual transmission at least once -

Does the drain plug on the manual transmission have a washer that needs to be replaced?

From the pics shared in the first post of this thread - It doesn't appear to have a crushed washer (like found on the engine oil drain plug) that would need to be replaced, but it's hard to see things clearly in a pic.
    It has a washer but replacing it is not necessary, you can reuse it. I have changed my manual transmission fluid a couple of times & never changed the washer. It never leaked fluid from the drain plug.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    There no Redline mtl here in our country. so i opted for the oem one but its a 75w 85 GL4
    how many liters do we need for the gear oil because i just bought 2 liters and i dont know when you say quarts. is it 1 is to 1? 1 quart = 1 liter?
    i bought from a mitsu dealer and gave me 75w 85 will this be ok?Attachment 14608
    2 liters is enough but you only need at least 1.6L. Proper way to refill is to let the fluid overflow from the fill hole and let the excess drip until it stops. Then just replace the fill plug to the proper torque spec.

I already tried that fluid, but after the oil change the tranny starts to grind from 1st to 2nd gear until I had enough and changed to Mitasu fully synthetic gear oil GL4 75W90. After the oil change it shifted normally again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NaimaRaiko View Post
    It has a washer but replacing it is not necessary, you can reuse it. I have changed my manual transmission fluid a couple of times & never changed the washer. It never leaked fluid from the drain plug.
    Thanks! It looked like a solid washer that didn't need replacing, but I thought I would ask just the same. I appreciate you confirming that!!!!

Thus, a manual transmission oil change is pretty simple and straight forward. 2 quarts/liters of new oil, correct wrench, & a funnel/hose should do the trick.

Good take aways I have taken from this thread are -

* Make sure you can remove the fill hole plug before draining the fluid.

* The suggestions to measure what comes out is not an approach I would take. Regardless of what comes out, you want it filled like you have mentioned. Rather than measure what comes out, it's more important that your car is on a level surface when you are refilling it. It's a pretty simple process. I just haven't had to do it on my Mirage yet.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-23-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2 liters is enough but you only need at least 1.6L. Proper way to refill is to let the fluid overflow from the fill hole and let the excess drip until it stops. Then just replace the fill plug to the proper torque spec.

I already tried that fluid, but after the oil change the tranny starts to grind from 1st to 2nd gear until I had enough and changed to Mitasu fully synthetic gear oil GL4 75W90. After the oil change it shifted normally again.
    Given what's recommended in our U.S. owner's manuals, I see two good aftermarket choices for us.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Tran...gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C11...gateway&sr=8-8

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Given what's recommended in our U.S. owner's manuals, I see two good aftermarket choices for us.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Tran...gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C11...gateway&sr=8-8
    I'd go for redline even if it's a bit expensive. I also would opted for redline if its not that hard to find where I reside.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd go for redline even if it's a bit expensive. I also would opted for redline if its not that hard to find where I reside.
    I am not certain the Red Line is the superior product compared to the Ravenol. The Red Line is the cheaper product in this case. The Ravenol is a German made product (with improved longevity and aging resistance with extreme oil change intervals of up to 300,000 miles/according to manufactures recommendations).

I feel either product is fine, but I wouldn't claim the Red Line is a superior product without further investigation.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Proper way to refill is to let the fluid overflow from the fill hole and let the excess drip until it stops. Then just replace the fill plug to the proper torque spec.
    Thanks for this tip. hehe this works great!

I have done my own Change Oil and Change Gear Oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Thanks for this tip. hehe this works great!

I have done my own Change Oil and Change Gear Oil.
    I happen to look for the manual transmission fill hole the other day. It looks quite easy to get at. I was looking all over at first, & it was right there in front of me!

I appreciate the fact that the Mirage is relatively easy to work on, & changing the manual transmission oil doesn't look all that bad. My Mirage is @ 25,000 miles, & I haven't done mine yet.

The maintenance schedule is a little vague on things sometimes. Schedule 1 recommends changing manual transmission oil @ 30,000 miles. Schedule 2 recommend checking the level/condition of the oil @ 30,000 miles, but makes no reference to changing it.

Since it looks relatively easy to do & it only takes 2 quarts, I'll probably change mine @ 30,000 miles this summer!

Glad to hear changing oil went great for you!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks to this guide i just changed my oil at 72k. it was gross and very dark

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the manual transmission fluid how are we able to "check it" that it is at the correct level? or to see the condition of the fluid?

Is there a reservoir or a dipstick?

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)