Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mitsubishi mirage g4 cvt failure

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2020 Mitsubishi mirage g4 cvt failure

I recently flushed the cvt fluid on a 2020 mirage g4. About 2.5q came out and I filled with about same amount maybe 2.7q. Started went through gears then drove for a small drive and checked fluid and was perfect level. After about 2-3 weeks the cvt had a acceleration shudder then eventually stopped accelerating all together. I believe it failed. Used idemitsu n3 cvt fluid. Has 100k miles on car. Has anyone had this problem. Was it possibly something i did or didn't do?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Added 3 guarts of cvt fluid back I recall now

It's pretty hard to screw up a fluid change. Drain and refill.

Was it the first time the fluid has been changed? How did the fluid look when you drained it or on the stick prior to draining it?
    I've had a few that weren't serviced at all until they had higher mileage and they didn't last long.
    Had a 2015 that was never serviced and started to crap out at just over 70k miles. Fluid was black when I changed it and turned black shortly after. It had a bearing pile up inside that send metal throughout the entire transmission. I had a bunch of the same bearing failures all within a few years but they all were 2015's iirc.

If you're out of warranty I guess I'd start by dropping the oil pan or at least checking the color of the fluid. If it's pitch black then I'd start shopping for a used cvt. If you do drop the pan and there's pieces of metal big enough to pick up with your fingers then it's toast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's my little sister's vehicle. I'm a full time mechanic and it was a very cut and dry procedure for the fluid change. At fiest maybe i thought it was wrong fluid but rhe n3 is compatiblewith j4 from what ive read. The fluid was very dark when it came out. I'm on my way over to check it out after work. She got the car at like 10k miles and this was the first service of the transmission. Did a whole tuneup like 3 weeks ago. Fluids, plugs, filters ext. She said she had a issue accelerating about a week ago and today completely stopped apparently and had to tow home. I'm guessing it had gone bad from the sounds of it. I'll know more in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveystrappa View Post
    It's my little sister's vehicle. I'm a full time mechanic and it was a very cut and dry procedure for the fluid change. At fiest maybe i thought it was wrong fluid but rhe n3 is compatiblewith j4 from what ive read. The fluid was very dark when it came out. I'm on my way over to check it out after work. She got the car at like 10k miles and this was the first service of the transmission. Did a whole tuneup like 3 weeks ago. Fluids, plugs, filters ext. She said she had a issue accelerating about a week ago and today completely stopped apparently and had to tow home. I'm guessing it had gone bad from the sounds of it. I'll know more in a couple hours.
    I'd pull the pan. If it looks alright it might just need a valve body. I had one act up and quit moving altogether. I was gonna replace the entire unit but tried a valve body as a last resort cause there was no big chunks oh crap in the pan. It's been going for years and has 450k km/280k miles now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Slightly unhelpful post here, but anybody reading this do remember the maintenance schedule recommend CVT fluid change at 30k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya now I'm wondering if I should've even done it. It had 98k when done and believe it was the first flush.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's pretty hard to screw up a fluid change. Drain and refill.

Was it the first time the fluid has been changed? How did the fluid look when you drained it or on the stick prior to draining it?
    I've had a few that weren't serviced at all until they had higher mileage and they didn't last long.
    Had a 2015 that was never serviced and started to crap out at just over 70k miles. Fluid was black when I changed it and turned black shortly after. It had a bearing pile up inside that send metal throughout the entire transmission. I had a bunch of the same bearing failures all within a few years but they all were 2015's iirc.

If you're out of warranty I guess I'd start by dropping the oil pan or at least checking the color of the fluid. If it's pitch black then I'd start shopping for a used cvt. If you do drop the pan and there's pieces of metal big enough to pick up with your fingers then it's toast.

So I stopped by after work. Checked the fluid through dip stick and looked nice and clean imo I'll post picture. Started it up and was able to reverse and go forward( I stayed in parking lot didn't want to get stranded like her) i didn't get on it hard at all but felt like a typical cvt shudder and just didn't feel right. She was like 15 miles away and apparently it got to the point where it wouldn't Rev up and go anywhere. She said no lights came on dash and their is still no lights. I've read they overheat somehow. Going to drop pan Thursday and go from their. Just sucka that I flushed it 3 weeks ago then this. She asked me to go over her car which I did and performed full tune up,brakes and 4 tires knocking on wood that it's savable

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveystrappa View Post
    At first maybe i thought it was wrong fluid but rhe n3 is compatiblewith j4 from what ive read.
    People have reported (some not all) that aftermarket fluid does not play nicely with factory fluid. I think its a combination of that, and there was crud in the transmission from such a long interval... flush it out twice and replace with factory fluid is my first recommendation.

I've never used factory fluid. Only cheap universal.
    If a cvt code is tripped the gear selector on the cluster blinks. I can't remember the sequence, it blinks fast for overheating and slow for trouble code stored or the other way around...Everyone thinks if the indicator blinks that it's overheating.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-27-2024)