Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HOW TO: Changing 5MT Gear Oil (Manual Transmission)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Saw this also at Walmart today. It says GL-4

But of course I will just stick with the RedLine 75W80. But this stuff may do in an emergency, like for someone that is leaking oil I mean.

Last edited by fc321; 01-30-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual (no bluetooth) nickname: "Agile Grey Rat"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So I changed my fluid for the first time at 107k miles. As i mentioned before, it was making a loud whining sound prior to the change. I drained out less than 1.5 qts of oil that had lots of gold metallic in it. It took a full 2 quarts of Redline mtl and nothing ran out the upper fill plug. After the change it is quiet as a mouse and shifts much better.

I'm planning on changing it again at my next oil change to flush out any additional metal particles. After i drain the oil is there anything that is safe to fill the trans with to flush it before I add the new Red line?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Saw this also at Walmart today. It says GL-4 But of course I will just stick with the RedLine 75W80. But this stuff may do in an emergency, like for someone that is leaking oil I mean.
    I wouldn't recommend putting 80W-90 marine outboard motor gear oil in a Mirage's manual transmission. Lots of gear oils will indicate GL-4, GL-5, or both.

Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 or factory gear oil is the way to go!

It was below -30F last night & it never really got above -5F today. Even in extreme cold weather, my car shifts smoothly. I am just above 20,000 miles & haven't changed gear oil yet. I wouldn't change what's recommended for this car. I've owned manuals exclusively for over 35 years, & the Mirage is the best cold weather shifting car of them all.

Heavy weight oil will most likely reduce your mpg some, too!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Dustyb, for others reading this it may be good to fill it with the cheap marine crap I posted above (from Walmart) and let that flush out and afterwards to fill her up with Redline.

Also I found that Amazon sells the gallon size of Redline for $62.40 and it comes out to be a better value than buying the quarts $20 x 4 = $80

And support poor Jeff Bezos who just lost half his life savings in a divorce.

Update: Thanks Mark, yes i agree with you will definitely use Redline when mine comes due. Thank you to you and everybody that explained the reasons why we should stick to that one

Last edited by fc321; 02-01-2019 at 01:41 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual (no bluetooth) nickname: "Agile Grey Rat"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)