Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Changing 5MT Gear Oil (Manual Transmission)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

HOW TO: Changing 5MT Gear Oil (Manual Transmission)

Step 1: Obtain two quarts of 75w-80 gear oil (Owner's Manual recommended weight), a drain pan, a funnel with a long flex hose, a measuring cup, two clean glass jars, and a sharpie.

Step 2: Using the measuring cup, measure 9.3 ounces of water and pour it into the glass jar. Using the sharpie, mark the water level. This will be how much gear oil you'll have left over. Thoroughly dry the jar and set aside for now.

Step 3: Safely raise and secure vehicle and place drain pain underneath the transmission, near the differential.

Step 4: Using a 24mm socket and large ratchet, reach up around the front of the transmission (towards the radiator) and loosen the Gear Oil Fill Plug, pictured here from below:
    Name:  Mirage 5mt fill below.jpg
Views: 25473
Size:  56.4 KB

And from above:
    Name:  Mirage 5mt fill above.jpg
Views: 22200
Size:  73.5 KB

Loosening the fill plug first ensures you'll be able to refill your transmission before you actually drain out the gear oil.

Step 5: Using the same 24mm socket and large ratchet, loosen the Gear Oil Drain Plug, pictured here: Name:  Mirage 5mt drain plug.jpg
Views: 23396
Size:  50.2 KB

Step 6: Once broken loose, use your fingers to remove the bolt the rest of the way and begin pouring the old gear oil into the drain pan. Collect some of the old gear oil in the unmarked glass jar for analysis.

Step 7: When all gear oil has drained out, replace drain bolt and tighten down to snug, but DO NOT OVERTORQUE!

Step 8: Remove fill plug and feed the funnel under the hood and insert the tip of the funnel hose into the fill hole.

Step 9: Take one quart of gear oil and pour the 9.3 ounces into the glass jar which you marked in the previous step. This ensures you only add the required 1.7 quarts to fill the transmission to capacity.

Step 10: Pour the remaining gear oil down the funnel and into the transmission, then pour the extra gear oil in the glass jar back into one of the bottles for later use.

Step 11: Replace Gear Oil Fill Plug, and tighten down, but DO NOT OVERTORQUE!

Step 12: Make sure all tools and drain pan are out from underneath the car, and safely lower it back to the ground.

Step 13: Clean up and you're done! Don't forget to recycle that used oil at your nearest collection location, and go ahead and check out the old oil to see if you need to adjust your drain intervals.
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 08-23-2014 at 11:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

alex16 (01-04-2015),Cobrajet (03-19-2017),cyberdriver (12-04-2022),Daox (11-30-2018),fifteenwindow (01-09-2020),ggoytia (03-30-2020),poorman1 (12-05-2018),RedRage (04-27-2016),satria_wr (02-27-2015),ThreePot (11-18-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh nice, looks like you figured out where to fill from.

Too bad this isn't for the CVT though :-(

Good job!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With a manual transmission, most of the time you are not required to measure the fluid. You fill until the fluid drains from the fill hole.

The fluid capacity listed in the manual is just an approximation and you should fill until it drains from the fill to get the correct amount in the trans.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rednwhitecooper For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022),ggoytia (03-30-2020),poorman1 (12-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Overfilling a transmission is a surefire way to cause damage, so if you're unsure, just measure what you drain and replace the same amount of fluid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

RedRage (04-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good write up. Never heard of a fwd MANUAL trans being damaged due to an overfill. One general recommendation that might not be all that important since our cars are relatively new BUT still good practice... Always remove the fill plug first. Imagine draining the fluid and then for some reason you're unable to remove the refill plug to replenish MT fluid... Perhaps it could be added through the speedo sensor but I honestly haven't spent much time under the hood of my mirage which is great news imo. Got the job done in a 90's nissan sentra/200sx when the fill plug wouldn't come loose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mikemustbebored For This Useful Post:

hkpotts1 (07-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good idea on loosening the fill plug first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Cani Lupine, may I ask what you replaced it with? I would like to investigate using a high performance synthetic such as Redline MTL or Royal Purple.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used Redline. Unfortunately the Amazon seller I went with shipped 75w85 instead of the 75w80 I ordered, so I had to use that, but they sent free replacement bottles of 75w80 and said to keep what I received, so I have my next change for free.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    "Loosening the fill plug first ensures you'll be able to refill your transmission before you actually drain out the gear oil."

LOL....not your first rodeo is it....

That's excellent....

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    "Loosening the fill plug first ensures you'll be able to refill your transmission before you actually drain out the gear oil."

LOL....not your first rodeo is it....

That's excellent....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePot For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-15-2021)