Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Difficulty shifting into reverse - manual transmission

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rkt Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mansfield, Oh
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 188 Times in 79 Posts
    Im at about 24000 miles and still going strong. Started noticing things though like louder drivetrain noise. At first I attributed it to having my windows down more often but its actually louder than that now. Also I have a hard time getting into reverse but thats been around for quite awhile.



  2. #2
    Carmageddon m4v3r1ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Hague
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Wow, that's not a very good news. I'm at 31.250 km now. Last oil change was 20.000 km. I do have the same problem with reverse gear!! OMG so annoying!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Senior Member GrnBn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Rkt Ship and Maverick, The reverse issue sometimes pops up for me, but I attribute it to our shaky little 3-cylinder trying to link up with the straight cut reverse gear. Remember, only reverse is straight-cut gearing for most cars, which is why it sounds "whiny" while forward gears don't. Basically, it has to line up a lot more precisely than the forward gears.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rkt Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mansfield, Oh
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 188 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    Rkt Ship and Maverick, The reverse issue sometimes pops up for me, but I attribute it to our shaky little 3-cylinder trying to link up with the straight cut reverse gear. Remember, only reverse is straight-cut gearing for most cars, which is why it sounds "whiny" while forward gears don't. Basically, it has to line up a lot more precisely than the forward gears.
    If this had been present from the moment I bought it I would agree but this did not start occuring for me until about 12k miles or so. Which generally leads me to believe there is some kind of defect. Actually now that I think about it it didn't start happening until it started warming up, maybe its some sort of expansion issue. It being the weather.

  5. #5
    Member mikemustbebored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    If this had been present from the moment I bought it I would agree but this did not start occuring for me until about 12k miles or so. Which generally leads me to believe there is some kind of defect. Actually now that I think about it it didn't start happening until it started warming up, maybe its some sort of expansion issue. It being the weather.
    Is this more an issue of shifting into reverse or the actual operation of the reverse gear? I recently hit 4k mi and have rarely experienced a smooth shift into reverse unless I really do it gently/slowly (that's the best way I can describe it) BUT i do know from experience it's pretty common w/ mitsu's. I previously drove a 1989 plymouth colt/mitsubishi mirage last summer that was similar. My buddy's old talon/eclipse would do the same when shifting into R as well. Just thought that things would've changed with mitsubishi transmissions considering it's 20+ years later now... On my old toyota corolla and later on echo, R would go in smooth w/o grind pretty much all the time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rkt Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mansfield, Oh
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 188 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemustbebored View Post
    Is this more an issue of shifting into reverse or the actual operation of the reverse gear? I recently hit 4k mi and have rarely experienced a smooth shift into reverse unless I really do it gently/slowly (that's the best way I can describe it) BUT i do know from experience it's pretty common w/ mitsu's. I previously drove a 1989 plymouth colt/mitsubishi mirage last summer that was similar. My buddy's old talon/eclipse would do the same when shifting into R as well. Just thought that things would've changed with mitsubishi transmissions considering it's 20+ years later now... On my old toyota corolla and later on echo, R would go in smooth w/o grind pretty much all the time.
    I could just be remembering wrong, I just don't remember having to let the car slip a bit before engagement when it was cold.
    Its been awhile but I dont remember having this issue with my 2g turbo eclipse and I know it didn't happen in my evo. Its an issue of alignment which was stated before. Meaning to get the car into gear I have to let it roll a bit. Its really not an issue per se but I figured it being a brand new car I would be happier if everything was magic unicorns that never gave me problems. Something else that still grinds my gears to this day is lifter tick. Even with the upgraded lifters with the larger bore holes I would still get it. Just one of those things I guess. My evo had it, and my eclipse had it......now my mirage has it. Wish mitsu would get this crap straightened out.

  7. #7
    Carmageddon m4v3r1ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Hague
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    I sometimes do have the same problem with my Galant, it might be a slight mitsubishi problem. Although what GrnBn said is also true, I do notice the whiny sound a lot more in this small vehicle.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 524 Times in 333 Posts
    Purchased my Mirage at the end of May, and just rolled 10k Miles on it this weekend! Can't believe I have already put that many miles on it... FYI, I have the same reverse issue. It's a bear to get in. Looking to swap to a good synthetic aftermarket gear oil soon to try and alleviate the issue
    Resident Tire Engineer

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)


  9. #9

    questions

    Questions for you guys experiencing the reverse issue:

    - Are you saying it grinds going into reverse, or there's just more resistance slotting it in?

    - If you shift into first gear before shifting to reverse, is getting reverse easier? (I have always done this out of habit.)

    - Anybody mentioned this to the dealer yet?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)


  10. #10
    Senior Member GrnBn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    What happens for me is, sometimes the shifter won't actually notch into reverse. If I let the clutch back out while in neutral, basically allowing the car to "settle", then try again it generally goes into gear. Setting aside that issue, the actual engagement of the reverse gear can occasionally be harsh, with just a bit of grind/crunch associated with it. This occurs when I shift into reverse quickly, or too forcefully. All of these issues I attribute to the shaky nature of our motor, combined with the finer nature of straight-cut gears. It isn't technically a problem, but it is an irritant.

    I'm considering buying a universal engine torque damper from Ingalls, and mounting it on to the empty mounting bracket behind the airbox. I think that mount was for cruise control or something, but reinforced with a bit of welding it is in the ideal spot to help tame our rocking 74 horses.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •