Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding lumbar support

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Adding lumbar support

Has anyone here removed the seat covers? Is it easy? I've thought about sneaking a precision-cut piece of foam to add a bit of lumbar support to the seats (which are surprisingly comfortable, but at 43, you need all the help you can get)...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kerc For This Useful Post:

BillAce (04-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was noticing what little support the stock seats have, and figured it was enough for daily driving. The sides/edges of the seatback curve enough to hug my wide back.

Surprisingly, the escape rental I drove had so much support that it felt a little cramped in there. I mean, it's an escape for crying out loud. How much lateral g forces could people be having in that thing. I did later find out that a well equipped escape can carve some corners, but that's for another topic.

I've done this with my cars - my Firefly/Metro has additional padding (just a bit of material folded to the right thickness -- not shaped foam).

I thought the Mirage needed more thigh support than lumbar, though. Everyone's different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm missing this too. Sometimes it's hard to get a completely comfortable position.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just need a nice little bump in my lower back. Everything else about the seats is really good.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

How To

To modify lumbar support

The passenger seat goes essentially the same as the driver's seat.
    Proceed like this at your own risk if you want to:

First remove the headrest and then slide the driver or passenger seat all the way forward. Adjust the seat-back to come all the way forward. Then enter the car by a rear door and get behind the seat, so you have the seat back in front of you. That way you have optimal access.
    On the side towards the door, reach down to the bottom of the back of the seat, where the cover wraps around a steel tube.
    Reach into that hole between cover and tube and locate the end of the zipper that was stuck in there during assembly. Pull the zipper out into the open, with absolutely no force needed. Uzip it all the way up. See photo.

Name:  seatback zipper.jpg
Views: 4034
Size:  45.9 KB

Looking at the bottom of the seat back, undo the horizontal plastic strip that holds the cover together, and most important, remember how it was put together.
    You may want to use a few clothes-pegs to hold the now loose fabric up, for keeping it out of the way.
    Now you can access the insides of the seat back.

If you simply want more lumbar support, and at the same height as it is now, look at the zig-zag shaped steel spring accross the back in lumbar area. You could carefully compress it a little to increase tension. A large pair of plumbers pliars may help. The increased tension gives you more support.

Carefully extending that spring will reduce support. Simply pull it a bit and you will extend it.

If the lumbar support problem is that the support is too high for your back, you could try putting some more stuffing under the seat where your buttocks are. That raises your seating position, and by doing so, the height of the lumbar support is thus lowered accordingly, relative to your back.

If the support is way away from where it should be, you have to modify the seat. This was my problem, so I added a wooden lathe where I needed support. The lathe ends under the frame, a hole drilled through frame and lathe on either side, and cable-ties through the holes to keep it all in place. See the photo for details.

Name:  open seatback.jpg
Views: 3802
Size:  58.9 KB

Btw, if you want to remove the seat cover of the lower part of the seat, the cushion you actually sit on, never forget to first disconnect the battery (!) because of the electrical connections under the seat for the airbags, etc. Then the entire seat will have to come out for better access. After finishing your job, reconnect all the connectors before reconnecting the battery.

My old Suzuki Swift (Metro), had the most comfortable drivers seat I ever came across.
    I really think Mitsubishi could learn a lot about making seats comfortable by looking at products from Suzuki or FIAT...
    Last edited by foama; 05-02-2016 at 04:18 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

danorum (01-20-2015),Daox (09-08-2014),Eggman (02-27-2016),Littlestan (02-27-2016),MetroMPG (02-22-2016),mitsumi (02-27-2016),Top_Fuel (09-04-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i don't like the lack of lumbar in these seats and will probably have someone fix it for me. just remember , for my fellow lates 30's comrades, doing exercises that strengthen your core are important for your overall posture and give a little "natural" lumbar support through stronger support muscles. most of us could stand to have a much stronger core.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Found a guy on a german forum ho added some foam in the seat, there are a few pictures..

http://www.mitsu-talk.de/index.php?p...52891&49ff9fb5

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-26-2016),Eggman (02-26-2016),El Kapitan (02-26-2016),Littlestan (02-27-2016),MetroMPG (02-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    That looks very easy. Thanks for sharing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    No problemo