Thread: UK review (with video): Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback (carbuyer.co.uk)

UK review (with video): Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback (carbuyer.co.uk)

Another U.K. car review site heard from. One of the rare reviews that declares the car "fun" to drive:

Pros:

• cheap to run - super efficient
    • fun to drive - "cheeky and surprisingly responsive"
    • good value
    • safe
    • pleasant ride for a small car
    • supportive, comfy seating

Cons:

• styling looks dated
    • lacks sophistication
    • CVT only available on one trim level
    • wind & road noise
    • perceived quality not on par with Euro competitors

Overall:

The Mirage is one of the best value cars on the market yet doesn’t skimp on safety or drivability. ... The Mirage ticks a lot of boxes for a small price.
    See the full review, photo gallery: http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mi...tchback/review

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

This is the 2nd review I've seen that calls the car "unsophisticated", and I think they're wrong -- unless their definition of sophisticated = hybrid.

Mitsu engineers put a lot of effort into building efficiency into this thing: from lightweight materials, to better than average aerodynamics, to reduced rolling and drivetrain resistance, to variable valve control, to start/stop, to 12v regen braking. Nothing unsophisticated in all that.

I know "unsophisticated" - my 1.0L 1998 Pontiac Firefly (Geo Metro) sitting in the driveway! It has none of those things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I think car reviewers confuse unsophisticated with simple. The Mirage is most definitely a simple car, at least when compared to other modern cars. Simplicity is a virtue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Alpha, that's a good distinction.

Carbuyer has posted a YouTube video of their review. I added it to the first post.

Interesting: she finishes the video review by saying the car scored 5 stars in EURO NCAP crash testing ... but they haven't published any results yet! Mysterious.

Oh, and the video commenters are having a field day making fun of the "2103" model year in the video title. Oh, and the car's number plate: WP62 SUX

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)