Thread: I seem to be unable to do a smooth "chauffeur" stop with the CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I seem to be unable to do a smooth "chauffeur" stop with the CVT

In every other (manual or automatic) car I've ever owned, I slow down by braking smoothly -- then, as the car comes to a stop, rolling off the brake to avoid bouncing the nose of the car or shaking passengers' heads. At all.

In the Mirage, no matter how I modulate the brake, there's always a slight lurch just before the car stops moving, that requires me to then brake a little more to keep it from creeping forward. So my trying to stop smoothly results in two lurches, one when the car does it, and another when I instinctively brake more when it lunges forward an inch or two. I have started just not releasing braking pressure at all which causes a small shock upon stopping which doesn't seem to be noticeable to my passengers but still annoys me (makes me feel like amateur hour).

If I shift to neutral when braking, I can pull off a flawless chauffeur stop which leads me to believe the transmission is doing something, like shifting to neutral?

Have you all noticed it? Can you stop smoothly with the CVT? Any tips aside from shifting to neutral?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yep, I see this too with my CVT. I always figured it was shifting to neutral (idle neutral) ... I asked if the Mitsu rep could shed some light into this, and if the issue could be fixed with a software/firmware upgrade.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'll have to try this out. I coast in neutral to most stops (increases mpgs), so I haven't noticed it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    braking smoothly
    I take pride in driving smoothly as well. Haven't heard it called a chauffeur stop before -- I like that. It's fun to be able to bring a car to a halt imperceptably.

I don't recall anything odd when I test-drove the CVT, but I was laser focused on fuel economy for that drive.

My guess from your description: the car is going to neutral just before stopping, but as you're easing up on brake pressure just prior to the stop, it decides you want to go again so it shifts back into gear, causing the lurch forward and requiring you to add more brake pressure. Just a guess -- I know nothing!

I wonder if the solution is as simple as being tied in to the brake light switch circuit (which could be physically adjusted).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'll have to try this out. I coast in neutral to most stops (increases mpgs), so I haven't noticed it.
    It seems to be more pronounced when the A/C is on (which is most of the time here in 100°F+ Texas).

I don't shift to neutral since I have always had manual cars like my Yaris that have aggressive DFCO when coasting in gear (Mirage is my wife's car). I have also read conflicting things over the years about coasting in gear in an automatic car not being the best thing to do (ATF pump may or may not be active depending on the design of the transmission) so I don't really feel comfortable doing it for very long with the CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been trying to find a way to get a smooth stop without having to switch to N, without success. At first I thought it was just me not being familiar with the car yet, but to this date I still get that annoying push.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Perhaps they reprogrammed the CVT for 2015. I have no hesitation issues when coming to a stop with the 2015 I have on loan from Mitsu. Someone else on the forum claimed they did make some minor CVT changes for 2015 though... I forget where I saw this though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed the lurch also. To me it feels like the transmission is disengaging and allowing the car to roll free. I think when the transmission is engaged it acts as a brake and when it disengages you lose that small amount of braking which causes the lurch forward. It's no big deal to me though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I've noticed the lurch also. To me it feels like the transmission is disengaging and allowing the car to roll free. I think when the transmission is engaged it acts as a brake and when it disengages you lose that small amount of braking which causes the lurch forward. It's no big deal to me though.
    What you're feeling is the CVT engine braking, then unloading. It's the nature of a CVT belt driven transmission. My automatic vespa also does it. If you have a long stretch before you have to stop and can coast for an extended period you can get it to unload before the actual stop. Takes a good bit if area to allow the car to slow enough for it to happen, but it is possible.