Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back seat delete?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Back seat delete?

Anyone know or have seen anything about removing the back seat? It looks like the back of the seat should be easy enough, but the cushion seems to be glued down, maybe? Any help is greatly appreciated!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh! And any cool ideas of what I could do with the extra space? I was kind of thinking to build the floor up several inches to be flush with the hatch, then run it to the back of the front seats which would leave space where the rear passengers feet would be. Could cut out room for a cooler so the lid sits flush with the floor. Kinda cool for road trips, just lean back and grab a soda out of the cooler And that would still leave room for carrying stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Get your 14mm wrench and socket out. Fold the seats forward and start unbolting the seat brackets and seat belts from the rear platform. The seat back comes out in one piece, so it'll be easier if you get your buddy to help you lift it out of the car, but you can do it yourself, too. It's just awkward.

The seat bottom isn't glued down. It pops out, pull up hard at the front of the cushion.

I cut some cardboard to fit the space, then covered that with a blanket and a tablecloth so it looks like a cushion. I also put a little cardboard as spacers up where the seat bench was, to level it out.

Pictures in my garage under "nameless".

Hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Back-space (08-24-2014),Canoehead (08-24-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you can make a level surface from the rear hatch to the front seats, leaving a little room for seat adjustment, you could lay in some wood/"wood" flooring. Real wood flooring would look really classy if done well, add some noise dampening to cancel out the newly opened up space, and would be more durable for hauling stuff. I've considered doing this with with bamboo flooring to complement my green car. Faux wood flooring, be it vinyl or what have you, would have similar benefits but might not look as good or be as durable.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrnBn For This Useful Post:

Back-space (08-24-2014),Canoehead (08-24-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys! Wow... I was thinking of doing a DIY, but the removal is incredibly easy. Amateur here and it took me just shy of 30 minutes to take er all out I''ll post again with the weights of everything removed in case people are looking to lose a little weight. Thanks Fifteen. 14mm ratchet did it all And thanks GrnBn. I wasn't thinking of seat adjustments... Likely would have went flush to the back seat, but since my girlfriend and I have crashed in the Civic before, it would be nice to have the seats able to lean back

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay! So for anyone interested... The cargo cover, and the entire backseat including buckles, bolts and headrests, excluding the seat belts in the wall and the bars to lock the seat back weigh 48.8 pounds total. Total reduction in weight being 2.44% in SE(5MT) model and 2.47% in ES(5MT). Now.... What else can go

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Back-space For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (09-11-2014),fusion210 (08-25-2014),MetroMPG (08-25-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    Okay! So for anyone interested... The cargo cover, and the entire backseat including buckles, bolts and headrests, excluding the seat belts in the wall and the bars to lock the seat back weigh 48.8 pounds total. Total reduction in weight being 2.44% in SE(5MT) model and 2.47% in ES(5MT). Now.... What else can go
    If it were me . . . I could probably stand to lose 48.8 lbs myself! Seriously though, thanks for the info!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Could lose the wife and that'd save even more... *darting eyes*

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    Could lose the wife and that'd save even more... *darting eyes*
    Lol, your in the danger zone now man!

Seriously though, ~50lbs. of weight removed is fairly substantial. The engineer who designed the Mitsubishi Zero(a famous WWII fighterplane) said "If I can remove even one gram, I would do it". Our car is already quite light, so it isn't easy to find that kind of gains..er..losses. Whatever, you get my point.

I've helped a friend lay out hardwood floor in their VW Golf, it looked especially good with some faux woodgrain interior trim pieces for the front doors and dash. I don't think we have that kind of aftermarket support yet, but given time I think our cars will grow in popularity.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My main concern with this is noise. I notice my Mirage is a lot louder from road noise with the rear seats just folded down. What is it like with them removed?

Maybe take em out and add some sound deadener like dynomat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)