Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Wiper (arm is "bent" upward on Canada/U.S. cars?)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MigWay View Post
    Called local Chrysler and Mitsubishi dealers
    Mitsubishi offered $173.xx CAD.....
    Chrysler said it's either backordered or discontinued, which he could place the order but who knows when it will arrive. LOL
    That crooked arm is really bothering me driving in winter on hwy. Ice built up on blade all the time, but not happening at dr. side one.
    Aquapel is always used on all my vehicles I've owned. Perhaps, it's a good idea to remove that wiper arm out.....
    I think we have stocks here in the Philippines..Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-25 123051.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  19.1 KB

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Maybe you can't just exchange the wiper arm. Yesterday I was driving in heavy rain, and I tried to visualize what would happen if my right wiper arm was bent, North America style. I think the arms would collide. On my car the arms are moving the same, so that they are always parallel. I searched youtube for 'Mirage in rain', and found this one:

It's hard to see, but I think the end angle of the right arm is less than the end angle of the left arm, to compensate for the bending. Here is a straight arm:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yeah that lower wiper seems nicer until your windshield gets covered in ice and the tiny defroster only hit the window halfway up. If you live anywhere there can be snow you want the bent one.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azariah747 View Post
    yeah that lower wiper seems nicer until your windshield gets covered in ice and the tiny defroster only hit the window halfway up. If you live anywhere there can be snow you want the bent one.
    I don't get this. Why would a bent one perform better in snow?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    For the reason he stated. I've seen vehicles that tuck the wipers down quite low when turned off, which is great for aerodynamics most likely. The window defrosters, however, aren't hitting where the wipers rest & they don't work as well during heavy snow or freezing rain conditions.

If the windshield is buried in snow & ice, wipers that rest really low are also harder to dig out. Wipers that sit a little higher (where the defroster vents are hitting them) are easier to thaw out & free up.

The Mirage has a few quirks that makes it special. I view the bent passenger wiper arm as one of them.

Women with straight hair want a perm or curls. Women with curly hair want their hair straightened. If saying that is is sexist, I claim stupidity! These Mirage/Space Star wiper arms remind me of this!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-13-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    For the reason he stated. I've seen vehicles that tuck the wipers down quite low when turned off, which is great for aerodynamics most likely. The window defrosters, however, aren't hitting where the wipers rest & they don't work as well during heavy snow or freezing rain conditions.

If the windshield is buried in snow & ice, wipers that rest really low are also harder to dig out. Wipers that sit a little higher (where the defroster vents are hitting them) are easier to thaw out & free up.
    Fair enough. But that is also true for the (more important) left arm. So when that one isn't bent, the car still is not snow proof. On my car both wipers are on same height when idle.

About the hair, that is true. But of course we can't really probe&validate women's rationale here. You can't exclude that they have a valid reason for this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the defroster wouldnt hit it. im in the upper northeast of the US. we get lots of ice and snow. that wiper way down there would take forever to thaw in ice. my channel under the wipers gets packed with ice all the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fair enough. But that is also true for the (more important) left arm. So when that one isn't bent, the car still is not snow proof. On my car both wipers are on same height when idle.

About the hair, that is true. But of course we can't really probe&validate women's rationale here. You can't exclude that they have a valid reason for this.
    idk about all that. this car has been the best snow car ive ever had. the low power front wheel drive and narrow tires and CVT are awesome in the winter. i fly right by subarus and all sorts of 4x4s in the winter. though I have also heavily trained myself in those conditions too. just wish the suspension was a tad better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azariah747 View Post
    idk about all that. this car has been the best snow car ive ever had. the low power front wheel drive and narrow tires and CVT are awesome in the winter. i fly right by subarus and all sorts of 4x4s in the winter. though I have also heavily trained myself in those conditions too. just wish the suspension was a tad better.
    My 1990 Ford Festiva with 145SR12 tires was much better in the snow than my current 2017 Mirage. Skinny tires do help.

My Subaru Forester with snow tires, however, will climb snow covered hills that my Mirage can't climb & it will do it without even spinning. Even with snow tires on my Mirage, there's no comparison. The Mirage does well, but it has its limitations, too.

Tires do make a difference. Factory tires on my Subaru were worthless. Worst tires in the snow I have ever driven on.

How this applies to bent wiper arms is a bit of stretch? I can't come up with anything!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My 1990 Ford Festiva with 145SR12 tires was much better in the snow than my current 2017 Mirage. Skinny tires do help.

My Subaru Forester with snow tires, however, will climb snow covered hills that my Mirage can't climb & it will do it without even spinning. Even with snow tires on my Mirage, there's no comparison. The Mirage does well, but it has its limitations, too.

Tires do make a difference. Factory tires on my Subaru were worthless. Worst tires in the snow I have ever driven on.

How this applies to bent wiper arms is a bit of stretch? I can't come up with anything!
    lol yeah im in a flat city. i think also the angle of the wiper blade might help with blade wobble too when operating

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Azariah747 For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-14-2021)