Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket CVT fluid - Would you use it?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Has anyone needed to add any fluid? I understood they don't need topped off unless a leak is observed. Mine has been fine, at 34k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Has anyone needed to add any fluid? I understood they don't need topped off unless a leak is observed. Mine has been fine, at 34k miles.
    I've checked my level from time to time just to make sure it's ok. Looks good @ 24K so far and I do a lot of manual downshifting into "B".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've checked my level from time to time just to make sure it's ok. Looks good @ 24K so far and I do a lot of manual downshifting into "B".
    I have never tried 'B' mode, you just pull the lever back while in 'D'? Can you start in 'B' and upshift to 'D'?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I have never tried 'B' mode, you just pull the lever back while in 'D'? Can you start in 'B' and upshift to 'D'?
    Sure, I do it all the time! Put it in "B" at a stop and stick your foot into it and don't back off. You'll be surprised how peppy it is off the line. I'll upshift around 50 mph when accelerating hard. I downshift into "B" too going down steep hills. I've downshifted into "B" as fast as 70 mph, revs up to about 4500 rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Aftermarket CVT Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hi guys, no where near the point of servicing the CVT yet, but my mind does ponder.

Manual states CVTF-J4 (Mitsubishi Motors Genuine)

Found this on Amsoil's site:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=CVTQT-EA

It indeed does list CVTF-J4 as being compatible.

Would you guys use this?

Or how about this. How has everyone's experience been simply with using aftermarket transmission fluids when manual states you should only use [insert car brand here]'s genuine trans fluid?

-Charlie-
    I have only found Lubeguard to be J4 compatible, the Mirage CVT is a little different that most; the belt is not submerged in the fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-68112-Complete-Universal-Fluid/dp/B00ED44TFG

O'reilly's has it as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justamirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-23-2018)

Country
    Cyprus
    Thanks
    Does anyone know this fluid its OK for Mirage CVT?
    Instagram mirage_mitsu

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Everything and more about the CVT. 144 pages

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmM-AiVvMaF5wmbj8lyHkvx4pjbG

Lots and lots of info to digest. Specs for fluid don't allow for any substitution.

I do not have a one drive account, any chance you could share the file on dropbox or any other file sharing site that doesnt require an account?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Was there ever a consensus on this? I'd rather not pay Mitsubishi's idiotic mark up if I don't have to anymore now that I don't have to care about the warranty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Was there ever a consensus on this? I'd rather not pay Mitsubishi's idiotic mark up if I don't have to anymore now that I don't have to care about the warranty.
    we will never come to a consensus, some use aftermarket some dont, there's no easy way to compare the two. The description of this youtube video comes with a great horror story about using aftermarket fluid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVSRNrlABqM

Remember if you put the wrong stuff in, there's no way to get it out, you can only drain a little more than half the total amount of cvt fluid in the transmission even if you drop the pan.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos