Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Clutch finally !

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Smile NEW Clutch finally !

Hi all I have only posted once on this forum and this is my 3rd time posting.

It finally came back in stock (well not now since I bought it), the Rock Auto clutch kit for my car. (AMS AUTOMOTIVE 05025 OE PLUS). It was $277.00 US ($394.00 CAD including shipping). I have been waiting for sometime for this. The Mitsubishi dealer (1 1/2hrs east of me) wanted $592 not including taxes. I saved approximately $275 buying it state side. The dealer says about (2) hours to install ($250 before taxes). I just did the brakes all around and now the clutch (to be installed when its needed). I have a 2015 Mirage MT ES. I can't say enough about this car. It doesn't break. It just keeps going and going. I bought it February 2020 with 60,512km's on it. This will be the first major work done to it. I can't wait to buy another one someday as long as they make them. Of course it will have to be a manual not CVT.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to douglas4 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-06-2022),dspace9 (01-01-2022),MetroMPG (01-24-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey douglas4 they are solid cars, mine has 161,025 kms, original rear drums and original clutch. Looks the same drives the same as day 1. Same great MPGs as day 1.

I find I go through tires fast, but I just drive more nowadays, than when I biked and walked more before. So not sure how long tires last on an F-150 in comparison to my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    Hi all I have only posted once on this forum and this is my 3rd time posting.

It finally came back in stock (well not now since I bought it), the Rock Auto clutch kit for my car. (AMS AUTOMOTIVE 05025 OE PLUS). It was $277.00 US ($394.00 CAD including shipping). I have been waiting for sometime for this. The Mitsubishi dealer (1 1/2hrs east of me) wanted $592 not including taxes. I saved approximately $275 buying it state side. The dealer says about (2) hours to install ($250 before taxes). I just did the brakes all around and now the clutch (to be installed when its needed). I have a 2015 Mirage MT ES. I can't say enough about this car. It doesn't break. It just keeps going and going. I bought it February 2020 with 60,512km's on it. This will be the first major work done to it. I can't wait to buy another one someday as long as they make them. Of course it will have to be a manual not CVT.
    A Mirage with 60,512 km (37,600 miles) should have a lot of clutch life left in it unless it has been abused. I would expect to get 300,000+ miles (482,803 km) out of my Mirage clutch if I kept the car that long.

Someone just changed their clutch on a 300,000+ mile Mirage recently, & it didn't look completely worn out to me.

I've been driving manuals since the 1970s (starting with my dad's 1972 Chevy C20 pickup truck). I have owned all manuals since my first car (1978 Honda Civic Wagon). I have never had a clutch replaced.

After my 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD manual got rear-ended & declared totaled, I felt stuck with an extra cabin air filter for it (even that bothered me). I wouldn't stock expensive parts unless I really knew I am going to need them. By the way, my 2000 Honda CR-V had the original clutch & all original brakes @ 154,000 miles in 2013. I bought it used in 2004 with 20,000 miles on it for $12,000 from a private party. It was surely one of my favorite vehicles. I wish that I still had it.

Is there a reason you feel your clutch will need to be replaced any time soon?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is there a reason you feel your clutch will need to be replaced any time soon?
    Oh I'm not replacing it yet. I just want to have one on standby in the event of.....

Finding a clutch is no easy task for this car. Every parts supply dealer including the local Mitsubishi has no clutch kits at all. Come to think of it most parts supply dealers here have next to nothing for this car. Even Ebay kits are not a fit when I plugged in the make and model of my car. Amazon says that too. So I thought, if its in stock at Rock Auto better get one before I'm back to square one scowering the net trying to find one.

I'm very proactive when it comes to my car or anything for that matter. I don't wait till last minute, I like to be prepped and ready for what has to be done.

I don't mess around.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to douglas4 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-24-2022)

Just buy another car and you'll have 1 extra of everything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    You may want to consider a spare clutch cable. Chances are the clutch cable will fail before your clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-11-2022),MetroMPG (01-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    Oh I'm not replacing it yet. I just want to have one on standby in the event of.....

Finding a clutch is no easy task for this car. Every parts supply dealer including the local Mitsubishi has no clutch kits at all. Come to think of it most parts supply dealers here have next to nothing for this car. Even Ebay kits are not a fit when I plugged in the make and model of my car. Amazon says that too. So I thought, if its in stock at Rock Auto better get one before I'm back to square one scowering the net trying to find one.

I'm very proactive when it comes to my car or anything for that matter. I don't wait till last minute, I like to be prepped and ready for what has to be done.

I don't mess around.....
    I've thought about doing this now for my 5 speed Outlander Sport. Since I plan on never selling it and when I will need a clutch in 10-15 years who's going to be manufacturing clutches for replacement? Especially a very very low volume application such as mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've thought about doing this now for my 5 speed Outlander Sport. Since I plan on never selling it and when I will need a clutch in 10-15 years who's going to be manufacturing clutches for replacement? Especially a very very low volume application such as mine.
    Probably the same companies that sell clutches for existing old Mitsubishi vehicles.

Look up a 1985 Mirage or Montero on rockauto.com. You can get a clutch kit for $50-60 quite easily for either vehicle. Those vehicles are 37 years old.

I see no need to stockpile an item like this unless you find a deal that's to good to pass up.

Having said that, I have done Top Fuel's suggestion about buying a clutch cable. I have headlight bulbs, clutch cable & serpentine belt stored around my rear spare tire in the back of my Mirage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-02-2022)

Having a 2015 you should get some rear drums too if you can find them for under $100/piece(with bearings).
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-02-2022 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I’m offended

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I bought a spare clutch set for my Mirage on Ebay last year for about $100 shipped. It came from a seller in Florida. Anyway, it looks to be of pretty good quality. Manufacturer is 'Mitsuko' which I have never heard of before. Apparently, they also make racing clutches for some applications. Is it the right clutch? Will it last more than 500 miles? Who knows.

As the OP mentioned, clutch sets for these cars are not easy to find. Even if you go to the dealership it will likely have to be ordered in, and that always seems to mean a 5-7 day wait and $600 spent. My original clutch has 190,000 miles on it. Definitely on borrowed time, so I don't really consider it 'stockpiling' as it may be with someone whose car has low miles.

Worth having it sitting on the shelf so I can get my car back on the road in two days for $100 instead of 8-10 days for $600 if the pressure plate suddenly fractures or something.

Oh, and it is a good idea to do as Top says. If you have a manual Mirage and feel like you need an extra part...GET A SPARE CLUTCH CABLE. Mine broke without warning at 113,000 miles and again at 176,000 miles. I recommend keeping it in the car with you. Takes 15 minutes to change on the side of the road with a pair of pliers, a Philips screwdriver, and a 12mm wrench.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-03-2022),davidricardo86 (01-11-2022),MetroMPG (01-24-2022)