Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage sedan "Concept G4" unveiled in Thailand (photos / video) named "Attrage"

An Autoblog piece about the sedan possibly appearing in the U.S:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/14/m...an-coming-2015

(The comments are predictably nasty.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Those commenters have all been asking where the 3000GT, Eclipse, and Evo have been. Obviously, your average automotive website reader doesn't "get" small, cheap cars and aren't even the intended market for them.

Dunno about the North American market, but I have seen very few Eclipses and Evos around here, many many years after they've been available. Since the Mirage was launched six months ago, however, they've become ubiquitous. I optimistically reckon that Mitsu here sells one Evo or Lancer Ralliart for every 500 Mirages that they sell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Agreed that the typical enthusiast doesn't get "cheap & cheerful", and tends to underestimate the appeal of that part of the market.

The proof in the pudding: In the U.S., the perennial best-selling subcompact car (by a wide margin) is the cheapest one available. The Nissan Versa sedan is a no-frills, plain-looking, transportation appliance - a car that is widely panned by the enthusiasts, yet the buying public is snapping them them up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Here's the full Mitsubishi press release:

Bangkok, May 21, 2013
    Mitsubishi Motors Next-generation Global Compact Sedan to Be Launched in Thailand in July
    Charming next-generation global sedan to be named Attrage
    Bangkok, May 21, 2013 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation announced that its next-generation global compact sedan, to be named Attrage*1, will be launched in the Thai market this July. The Attrage qualifies for the Thai government's Eco-car Project*2 and will be produced at MMC subsidiary Mitsubishi Motors (Thailand) Co. Ltd.'s third factory at the Laem Chabang Industrial Estate in Chonburi province in Thailand.
    *1: Contrived based on the English attractive
    *2: Qualifications: fuel efficiency based on European calculation methods of at least 5L/100KM (20km/L) , meet EURO4 exhaust gas regulations, invest over THB5 billion into production in Thailand, and produce over 100,000 units per year after the fifth year of production.

Main Features
    The Attrage will bring styling befitting a next-generation global compact sedan, featuring

• a short nose which delivers an outstanding forward field of view
    • superior maneuverability with a class-leading minimum turning radius of 4.8 meters
    • graceful and flowing side proportions which balance aerodynamics and interior space among the most generous in its class
    • sleek aerodynamics, with a dynamic character line which kicks up towards the rear.

The Attrage is expected to achieve a fuel efficiency of 22 km/liter*3, among the best in its class, achieved with a combination of uncompromising weight reduction throughout and

• A lightweight RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) body - the lightest in its class due to the extensive use of high-tensile steel
    • A lightweight and compact 1.2-liter MIVEC engine
    • CVT with sub-geartrain or 5-speed manual
    • Excellent aerodynamics providing a drag coefficient (CD) of 0.29, among the best in its class.

*3: Calculated based on NEDC (New European Driving Cycle)

The Attrage delivers driving pleasure thanks to agility and pleasing driving dynamics stemming from its lighter weight as well as its reassuring handling, stability and comfortable ride. Passenger comfort is enhanced by the high hip point and large door openings which facilitate entry and exit as well as by its generous rear seat leg space.

Here's the official Mitsubishi photo of the sedan - very close to Theo Chin's rendering:

And a 2-page brochure from Thailand with additional photos & info: Mirage sedan - Attrage - brochure (Thailand)

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (05-21-2013)