Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a torque wrench worth the investment?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Is a torque wrench worth the investment?

So I was thinking about buying a torque wrench from Canadian Tire for changing my rims for summer and winter driving(which would save me about $80 a year), and for oil changes just to be sure I'm setting the right torque on everything. Might also come in handy if I ever change my own brakes or anything else I can do in my driveway Is it worth the investment? $100 at Canadian Tire gets you a wrench with a lifetime warranty but only a 3 month calibration warranty. I'm wondering how much a calibration costs and how often it needs to be done. I was also wondering if it's possible to make a red neck version. Hang a 20 pound weight from the end of a wrench I need some car nuts around here to talk about cars and tools with at 11

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can get them for less than $30. Try harbor freight or the like (ebay etc). Yes they are worth it. Especially on newer cars with lightweight parts you can easily bend/break parts/bolts. Good on wheels to. Over tightened wheels contribute to bending when you hit a pothole etc (auto shops jamming your (aluminum) wheel with a impact wrench at like 500ftlb when your manual specifies like 75ftlb comes to mind).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-4-or-3...item3cd5e7a050

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We use torque wrenches where I work to tighten fan blades onto 480 volt motors etc. They are calibrated once a year.

This is a big corporation that is picky about accuracy and safety, so once a year is overkill for home use I would think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So if I was using it to change oil on my and possibly a friend or two's car, and changing rims several times a year, I'd be okay calibrating once every 2 years, maybe? Do you know how much they charge for calibration, Don?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have one bought from Amazon and it's definitely worth it. For some parts you'll want to be sure that things are appropiately tight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mhmm. And I'm not quite sure how much torque I'm putting on something by hand. Could be 10 pounds, could be 45

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes..
    Buy a decent quality torque wrench and use it !
    Calibration for home use is not an issue, (unless you drop it hard) just check it against a buddy's every couple years..(see if both click within 4 or 5 ft/lbs of each other on same bolt)
    Store it properly, backed off to zero in it's case, where it won't get knocked around.Never use it to tighten or loosen any fastener, it's for torqueing only.
    It will serve you for many years.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is a link to a guide to care and use of different types of torque wrenches. Enjoy!

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/pr...torque_wrench/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Click wrenches are crap. I've never had good luck with them in the past; especially the cheap ones.

Get a cheap beam wrench for torquing lug nuts and an inch pounds dial wrench for light duty stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w3001c/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7380

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I bought myself a beam wrench yesterday Got my oil and filters for my first oil change, so I'm all ready to go.