Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFam View Post
    The yakima trailers are pretty cool, but I would have a hard time paying $3k for one...
    I agree. They don't really fit my needs either. However, I suppose in some cases they might be appropriate. Compared to a typical hardware-store trailer they are much lighter, and they fold flat for storage. If I wanted to regularly tow a couple kayaks long distances with a Mirage, Scion iQ, Prius C or similar, it might be worth it. Then again, maybe getting a manual transmission Yaris, Mazda2, or Honda Fit would be worth it as an extra 50-100lbs of trailer weight would be less of an issue. Or maybe scrubbing 5mph off the cruising speed would do the same thing. I suppose a spreadsheet would help figure it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The yakima trailers are pretty cool, but I would have a hard time paying $3k for one...
    come springtime I will be fabricating something that cost 1/10 the yakima does....and it will ROCK! my two sea kayaks do weigh in at 60# each though, so this trailer can not weigh too much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 4x8 trailer that weighs about 200 lbs and it folds for storage in the garage. Cost me less than $300. Fits our canoe, bicycles... Name:  image.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  22.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I have a 4x8 trailer that weighs about 200 lbs and it folds for storage in the garage. Cost me less than $300. Fits our canoe, bicycles... Name:  image.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  22.9 KB
    That seems like a bargain. The Yakima is more expensive than it ought to be. I cannot understand, though, how the Yakima which seems to be smaller in all dimensions and is made out of aluminum is that close in weight to your trailer which I assume is mild steel. Maybe the taller tires and shocks add some? Maybe your "about 200lbs" is a little more?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weighed mine, was 214 lbs with plywood top. Mine is an older model, the new ones from red trailers are 225-255 lbs without the plywood. You can go el cheapo and get a similar trailer from northern tool. Poor quality, but does the job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Weighed mine, was 214 lbs with plywood top. Mine is an older model, the new ones from red trailers are 225-255 lbs without the plywood. You can go el cheapo and get a similar trailer from northern tool. Poor quality, but does the job.
    Wow. Good to know. That is certainly a whole lot cheaper! And with a couple boats, still less than the weight of a big man, or 2 average people in the back seat. I'd be comfortable pulling that thing with a Mirage keeping the speed down to a reasonable level, and not putting something on with too much wind resistance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    awesome...probably go the northern tool route in the spring...build quality is not as important to me as price as I am only a few miles from Lake Superior and other inland lakes/rivers. My boats are 16'+ long so they will hang over quite a bit, but oh well!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    awesome...probably go the northern tool route in the spring...build quality is not as important to me as price as I am only a few miles from Lake Superior and other inland lakes/rivers. My boats are 16'+ long so they will hang over quite a bit, but oh well!
    Sounds like you need the harbor freight boat trailer... At less than 80 lbs, with coupon its about $400 brand new, it would be a perfect fit.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My trailer started out as a 40x49 trailer I got from Harbor Freight. I swapped in a long piece of 2.5" square tube, to make the overall trailer 13' long. Added a box with some hatches to keep camping gear dry and then added a rack to carry canoes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My trailer started out as a 40x49 trailer I got from Harbor Freight. I swapped in a long piece of 2.5" square tube, to make the overall trailer 13' long. Added a box with some hatches to keep camping gear dry and then added a rack to carry canoes.
    that sounds to me like the way to go with this kayak trailer idea...do you have any pics of your trailer Doug?