Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    I'm attempting to mount a productive conversation about why we may be able to tow
    safely with the Mirage. I'm not attempting to lead or sway anyone's opinions towards my bias,
    but I am trying to provide as much evidence and information as I possibly can to lend credibility
    to my opinion...

Which is, given the exacting conditions including changing the physical towing capabilities of the
    Mirage by upgrading the suspension and adding a torsion bar to lend rigidity and stability while
    utilizing electric trailer brakes, I, and two other driving professionals I've talked with directly, feel
    will be perfectly safe under all normal driving conditions.

Having to suddenly turn sharply towing any considerable amount of weight will induce a jackknife
    condition with nearly anything, I think? This is where being an attentive skilled driver would help to minimize the possibility of having to emergency maneuver.

We're not talking about several thousand pounds+, it's max 1400lbs. The 2100lb car, with me in
    it, weighs nearly 1000lbs more than what I expect to tow. Is this not sufficient weight for the
    towing conditions?

What it seems like is rather than consider the information I'm putting forth as even potentially viable, it's brushed aside so as to err on the side of caution. And I'm fine with that, especially
    after reading about some of the experiences others have had towing with their Mirages. But until
    someone can show me WHY what I'm suggesting isn't safe, then I've no reason to think otherwise.

I want to tow with this car because I have the will and energy to make it safe to do so. Can we
    move past that and get into the nitty gritty of it all?
    What do you think YOU know about this car that Mitsubishi's engineers don't know? Having designed every inch of the Mirage, they say not to tow with it. You are looking just at this weight and that weight and making back-of-the-envelope guesstimates about what is safe, they were likely looking at the actual stresses towing would put on each individual component of the car using detailed calculations.

And the warning they give about towing is DON'T DO IT. There is your "why". With due respect, what more do you need?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-06-2015)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I'm sure you can pull a couch safely with the mirage. It's just that since it's 3 cyl 1.0L engined, i just pity the engine
    I've got the 1.2L here in Canada, ES Plus package brings the car up to 2100lbs. I'm not concerned with how fast I can get up to speed as it's pretty relaxed on the highway here. Taking it nice and
    slow is just fine.
    Last edited by Littlestan; 09-03-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    What do you think YOU know about this car that Mitsubishi's engineers don't know? Having designed every inch of the Mirage, they say not to tow with it. You are looking just at this weight and that weight and making back-of-the-envelope guesstimates about what is safe, they were likely looking at the actual stresses towing would put on each individual component of the car using detailed calculations.

And the warning they give about towing is DON'T DO IT. There is your "why". With due respect, what more do you need?
    Again... by upgrading the crappy stock suspension and adding a torsion bar, I'd be completely changing
    the engineering of the car and, in my and two others professional opinions, making it safe for 1400lbs of
    braked towing.

I'm giving you direct examples of why I feel it's safely possible. Besides downplaying my thought process
    and efforts, what are you bringing to the table?

Toyota says the Yaris can't tow. And yet it can! Just not here. Same with the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    But until someone can show me WHY what I'm suggesting isn't safe, then I've no reason to think otherwise.
    I believe I have done so.

If you are still inclined to disregard the advice offered here then perhaps you could check with your insurer and local law enforcement and share your findings with us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When your transmission "mysteriously" has an input shaft bearing failure, or when the engine develops a "mysterious" main bearing knock, I hope you won't blame the car!

When you add 2100 pounds to 1400 pounds, you make the weight that engine has to move 3500 pounds...that's nearly the same weight as a Lincoln Town Car! And you are going to move it with 74 horsepower?

You are asking that engine to work AWFULLY hard. And it ain't gonna be too happy about it.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I've got the 1.2L here in Canada, ES Plus package brings the car up to 2100lbs. I'm not concerned with how fast I
    can get up to speed as it's pretty relaxed on the highway here. Taking it nice and slow is just fine.
    But that is not the issue. Why should you not tow with this car:
    1. Puts too much load on just 3 CYL engine.
    2. This car's designed to be efficient with the gas, on loads of load, this car uses more gas than a 2.0L 4 cyl engine, believe me I tried that by comparing usage when you drove the car at 135 km/h constantly against the wind (means pedal to the metal the whole 25 KM)
    3. It put a lot of load on the brakes. Mind you that rear wheel brakes of the mirage is not a disc brake, it's a drum type!

So ... you can try towing with it but I just say one is being irresponsible by doing that. Not to mention the possibility of bringing danger to other road users (egocentric).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Again... by upgrading the crappy stock suspension and adding a torsion bar, I'd be completely changing
    the engineering of the car and, in my and two others professional opinions, making it safe for 1400lbs of
    braked towing.

I'm giving you direct examples of why I feel it's safely possible. Besides downplaying my thought process
    and efforts, what are you bringing to the table?

Toyota says the Yaris can't tow. And yet it can! Just not here. Same with the Mirage.
    You are trying to "make a ***** into a housewife", and that is never a smart use of time. As I said, the car was not designed to be a tow truck. Adding a sway bar isn't going to make the transmission any stronger. There are probably only about 500-600 pounds contained in the entire rear half of the car, sitting on 4 inch wide tires. This is what is going to have to stay planted when you take that 1400 pounds around a corner on a wet road.

Good luck with that...

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I believe I have done so.

If you are still inclined to disregard the advice offered here then perhaps you could check with your insurer and local law enforcement and share your findings with us.
    Insurance is not an issue; here in BC I will have satisfied all legal requirements by towing a single axle
    trailer with brake that is less than the maximum weight the hitch, that is designed to work with the vehicle,
    can tow. Legality is the same.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You are trying to "make a ***** into a housewife", and that is never a smart use of time. As I said, the car was not designed to be a tow truck. Adding a sway bar isn't going to make the transmission any stronger. There are probably only about 500-600 pounds contained in the entire rear half of the car, sitting on 4 inch wide tires. This is what is going to have to stay planted when you take that 1400 pounds around a corner on a wet road.

Good luck with that...
    Oh true I forgot about the transmission .... indeed .... the transmission is not made for towing as well

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Insurance is not an issue; here in BC I will have satisfied all legal requirements by towing a single axle
    trailer with brake that is less than the maximum weight the hitch, that is designed to work with the vehicle,
    can tow. Legality is the same.
    So ... because it can, you will swim with iPad tied to your feet?