Thread: Break in period for a new Mirage ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Break in period for a new Mirage ?

Hi, Just got my car and it currently has 250 miles on it. Can anyone comment on how they drove their cars initially after getting them. Ive seen discussion on driving it "through the range of gears/rpms to help "seat the valves" etc......... Ive been trying to stay around 2000rpms and 60mpg to maximize fuel economy on the highway but should I be doing something different to"break the car in " ? thanks.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My routine: I changed my oil to a cheap (low detergency) conventional on purchase, then I push it through the whole rpm range during traveling whenever possible (never staying at one rpm range), bumping the transmission down to "B" mode if needed to keep up the rpms. I changed the oil frequently, and switch to a higher quality conventional oil at 1,500 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All cars we've bought new were broke in at different speeds until 1,000+ miles .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Everyone seems to say something different. Most people I know take it easy on new engines, and they never seem to run into future problems due to "poor break-in". My parents have had enough new cars, they drive it easy. I've got a new car, I'm driving it easy So long as she gets the 4.3L/100km as promised, I'm happy. She's currently getting 4.1, so .

Seems to be with modern machining practices, numeric control, tighter tolerances, the break in period is drastically reduced or eliminated entirely. Hear some people saying the engine has already been broken in before it's unloaded from the truck I'm doing my first oil change between 1000-1500km, then my second at 8000, and every 8k thereafter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just drove normally and followed the instructions in the user manual. I figure the Mitsubishi engineers know a heck of a lot more about the car than me (or the mechanics at the dealership).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yttrium, you drive like me.in I follow what the book says.and I've had some good cars last and last.when you drive them easy at the start. They last a Long time.But when your Hard on them they don't last.so to protect your warranty follow the book.that's why when you see a older person driving thir car and its old and good shape follow what they do.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen a couple of cars that were babied from the get-go and they lasted for a long time, but they had low cylinder compression and sluggish performance near the end of their serviceable life. Not saying this will happen to you guys ... I'm trying to not going down that road.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just drive it, I don't baby it, or abuse it. When I need to get out on the highway... I do it, when I can do a chill start... I chill. When i get a chance to drift it... I see what the car can handle . IMHO Engineers no nothing on the operation, drivers and testers know from real life by dealing with real life climate and surroundings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I drove sanely till around 5000km. Then id push till redline once in awhile. Once that smell goes away u know its broken in.

I did my final run in the mountains. Im now just shy of 12000km now and i feel she is good to go. Oil will be changed under the 'severe' service schedule.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I just drove normally and followed the instructions in the user manual. I figure the Mitsubishi engineers know a heck of a lot more about the car than me (or the mechanics at the dealership).
    This.