Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    good question. i don't know the answer, but i'd imagine that there is not too much of a difference in fuel economy, with an oh-so-slight bias in favor of using B when used in the correct fashion.

as for the difference in coasting, try it out. when you're coming in to a stop light and are down to about 35 mph, shift it down to B. it will wind up to about 3500-4000(ish) rpm and then use the unwinding to brake the car. it's similar to the feeling when you downshift in a manual transmission. don't forget to shift back to D before you start going again or the car will wind out when you hit the gas.
    I don't like engine breaking, unless the brakes are needing help to stop/slow you down. My thoughts are why rev the engine and put undo wear on it? There also has to be wear on the transmission parts as well. On both my motorcycle or Chevy S-10 with stick shift, I just use neutral to cost, the RPMs drop to the idle level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 81.Chevette View Post
    I'll post this in its own thread, but since there seems to be a lot of knowledge here...
    I have the FAST key. Is there any way, via programming or brute force, to allow me to leave the car running, with the keys in my pocket, and lock the doors? I'm a delivery boy, and that would be EXTREMELY helpful.
    per the owners manual:

When the operation mode is in any mode
    other than OFF, all the doors and the liftgate
    are closed, and someone tries to lock the
    vehicle by pressing the driver’s door switch
    or the liftgate switch, the warning light blinks
    and the buzzer sounds for about 3 seconds as
    a warning, and the doors and the liftgate cannot
    be locked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got home and dropped my car keys off at my house, then proceeded to drive around the block. So as already posted, the car will run as normal until the car is turned off if the FAST key is not present.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was hoping there was a super-secret programming option to disable the "safety" feature. I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to leave the car running and locked. I guess, maybe it helps idiots not leave their car running all night accidentally, but still.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I use "B" for engine breaking depending on how I want to trade off. Do I want to wear my break pads or have lower fuel economy?

I find that "B" is not only useful for engine breaking, but also for those cases where you need to slow down then accelerate more quickly (like zipping around in city traffic). Keeping the engine in higher RPMs will allow more torque to be instantly available.

One cool quirk that I discovered:

To keep the "ACC" mode on after shutting down the engine (for those driveway moments listening to a song or just waiting). Before turning the engine off, put the shifter in neutral. Then press the power button, the radio, etc will stay on. Then move shifter to park.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LurgidBee View Post
    I use "B" for engine breaking depending on how I want to trade off. Do I want to wear my break pads or have lower fuel economy?

I find that "B" is not only useful for engine breaking, but also for those cases where you need to slow down then accelerate more quickly (like zipping around in city traffic). Keeping the engine in higher RPMs will allow more torque to be instantly available.

One cool quirk that I discovered:

To keep the "ACC" mode on after shutting down the engine (for those driveway moments listening to a song or just waiting). Before turning the engine off, put the shifter in neutral. Then press the power button, the radio, etc will stay on. Then move shifter to park.
    Cool. I wonder if that works in a 5-speed. That's the only thing I don't like about the push-button, that I have to cycle states.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 81.Chevette For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I found this out by chance but it is in the owner's manual.....there is a power window delay timer. When the ignition is shut off you have a 30 second "grace period" that allows the operation of the power windows, unless a door is opened/closed then you have to insert the key again.Neat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    62F setting on ac automatica sets to recirculate, 63 fresh air.fresh air is best for super hot car for the first five minutes or so.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015),ThunderG (05-19-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    62F setting on ac automatica sets to recirculate, 63 fresh air.fresh air is best for super hot car for the first five minutes or so.

Fresh air setting also decreases fatigue on long trips.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is very useful info. I found it a little irritating that it would keep going to recirculate when I turn the AC on.
    Now I just set it to 62 instead of the lowest setting of 61 and it stays in fresh air mode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)