Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 333

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

  1. #271
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,294
    Thanks
    2,760
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    The cruise control will only disengage when you touch the brakes
    Cruise will also disengage if stability control is activated. EG. if you steer quickly around some wildlife moving across your path.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (04-01-2018)

  3. #272
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,383
    Thanks
    1,953
    Thanked 878 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Cruise will also disengage if stability control is activated. EG. if you steer quickly around some wildlife moving across your path.
    I'm assuming you found this out due to a real world experience!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)


  4. #273
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,294
    Thanks
    2,760
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,300 Posts
    No comment.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  5. #274
    Senior Member bzacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    You'd have to shift really fast to avoid engine run away and you'll just grind against a redlining engine, I don't think 5->4 would be possible (tried once when I had a 5spd Accord), but I don't have cruise control yet
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

    No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

  6. #275
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    Ok, I am convinced! Thank you!

    I looked through the video and the comments. I can definitely say that my 2015 EU spec Mirage does NOT have Idle neutral logic. It always creeps forward when in "D" and the engine is running. It has Hill assist though. It never creeps backwards, no matter how steep the hill.
    I have to correct this, my Mirage has idle logic, but only when the air conditioning is switched off. As I have automatic climate control, I have it always switched on. So yeah. Sorry about the misinformation.

  7. #276
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,383
    Thanks
    1,953
    Thanked 878 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    I have to correct this, my Mirage has idle logic, but only when the air conditioning is switched off. As I have automatic climate control, I have it always switched on. So yeah. Sorry about the misinformation.
    You are correct, idle control logic will only engage in a limited set of circumstances (no ac engaged, front defroster setting off, no rear window defroster turned on, flat ground). You could turn the setting from "auto" to a set temperature and not turn on the AC or defroster. This is why I put my CVT into neutral at every stop because if idle control logic is not engaged then you are sitting there with the belt slipping which of course increases wear.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)


  8. #277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You are correct, idle control logic will only engage in a limited set of circumstances (no ac engaged, front defroster setting off, no rear window defroster turned on, flat ground). You could turn the setting from "auto" to a set temperature and not turn on the AC or defroster. This is why I put my CVT into neutral at every stop because if idle control logic is not engaged then you are sitting there with the belt slipping which of course increases wear.
    You don't have to worry about the belt slipping. If that slips, it makes a terrible noise and your CVT will be out of order very soon!. The energy difference between the running engine and the standing wheels will be absorbed by the fluid coupling and converted to heat. In the owner's manual it is recommended to switch to neutral only when you have to stop for an extended period. However, some car technicians told me that is nonsense and I can keep it in drive eternally as there is so little power output that is converted into heat in the torque converter, that the oil will not overheat. Anyway the take away message is, you belt never slips unless your CVT is broken and makes a lot of terrible noise.

  9. #278
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,383
    Thanks
    1,953
    Thanked 878 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    You don't have to worry about the belt slipping. If that slips, it makes a terrible noise and your CVT will be out of order very soon!. The energy difference between the running engine and the standing wheels will be absorbed by the fluid coupling and converted to heat. In the owner's manual it is recommended to switch to neutral only when you have to stop for an extended period. However, some car technicians told me that is nonsense and I can keep it in drive eternally as there is so little power output that is converted into heat in the torque converter, that the oil will not overheat. Anyway the take away message is, you belt never slips unless your CVT is broken and makes a lot of terrible noise.
    That may be but all I know is that the only way to make sure the CVT is in neutral at a stop is to place it into neutral. I also start in "B" from every stop because it upshifts way to early for my liking so I'll throttle up to about 3000 rpm in "B" and then upshift into "D". Acceleration is better without mashing the throttle.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)


  10. #279
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That may be but all I know is that the only way to make sure the CVT is in neutral at a stop is to place it into neutral. I also start in "B" from every stop because it upshifts way to early for my liking so I'll throttle up to about 3000 rpm in "B" and then upshift into "D". Acceleration is better without mashing the throttle.
    But... that is what idle logic is all about, so that you don't need to shift from D to N when stopped…. It is automatically in neutral by disengageing two friction plates before the gearbox…. Don't worry about the Space Star/Mirage. it worries about itself.

  11. #280
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,383
    Thanks
    1,953
    Thanked 878 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    But... that is what idle logic is all about, so that you don't need to shift from D to N when stopped…. It is automatically in neutral by disengageing two friction plates before the gearbox…. Don't worry about the Space Star/Mirage. it worries about itself.
    Idle logic only works in certain situations. How limited is idle neutral logic? This limited:

    Idle neutral control is started when all of the following conditions are fulfilled. However, during idle neutral control, idle neutral control is stopped when any of the following conditions is not met.

    Driving environment: Flat road or road with mild grade

    Selector lever position: *D* position

    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h (0 MPH)

    Accelerator pedal position: 0.0/8

    Brake pedal: Depressed

    Engine speed: Idle

    Turn signal lamp/hazard signal lamp: Not activated

    Idle neutral control stops or is prohibited when the TCM and ECM detect that the vehicle is in one of the following conditions.

    - Engine coolant temperature and CVT fluid temperature are the specified temperature or more, or the specified temperature or less.

    - When a transaxle malfunction occurs.

    - When the vehicle detects DTC and is in the fail-safe mode.

    - When idle speed increases due to heavy electric load*.

    *: When any one of rear window defogger switch, A/C switch, headlamp, fog lamp is turned ON or when the steering wheel is operated.

    Sooo, the only way to make sure that the transmission goes into neutral at every stop is to shift into neutral.



        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (12-20-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •