Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Morning,, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but my 2018 GT will beep @ me if I try to drive away with the park brake on...

Roger
    I gave this a try earlier (taking off with the brake on still) and my 2017 GT does not do this, so it must be new for 2018 MY? Does your car beep if you pull the brake while moving too? (My mom's Fusion will ding if you do this, I think it just looks at the lever position sensor)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That's interesting, a parking-break-is-on beep would be a useful feature on the manual Mirages especially... parking break is an easy thing to forget about, and with a manual you sometimes want it in neutral w the break up to give your busy feet a rest
    I agree with you! When driving a manual, the parking brake is used all the time. If I stop briefly to do anything (like getting my mail at the end of my long driveway), I am leaving the car in neutral while the parking brake is set. I check the parking brake before taking off without even thinking most times, but I have been driving manuals for a very long time. A beeping feature that went along with the brake light on the dash would be a nice feature.

Somewhat related to this particular discussion - I find it sort of odd that "Hill Start Assist" is only found on the CVT Mirages. My 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X (manual) has "hill start assist", and it's a nice little feature to have on any manual transmission vehicle.

I live in a hilly part of southwest Wisconsin, & I teach my driving students how to properly deal with brakes on hills. I actually did this very thing today with two young gentlemen. A person can put both feet on the brake pedal at the same time with an automatic transmission vehicle. This is why the brake pedal is wider on most automatic/CVT vehicles. It allows you to manually do what "hill start assist" would do for you. Having both feet on the brake pedal allows you to move your right foot over to the gas pedal while holding the car firmly in place with your left foot still on the brake pedal. As the car starts to move uphill, you let go of the brake with your left foot. It takes a little practice, but it does give you better control of your car while starting on a hill. Thus, my students are releasing the parking brake (Chevy Impala foot operated parking brake) with with their left foot before their left foot joins the right foot on the brake pedal. Basically, I am teaching them to do "hill start assist" whether the car has that feature or not.

Obviously, this cannot be done this way with a manual transmission, because your left foot is devoted to the clutch pedal. Thus, the hand parking brake is needed to do this. While moving your right foot from the brake to the gas pedal (while on an uphill incline), you can hold your car in place with the hand parking brake. This also takes some practice and coordination. As you let out the clutch you can slowing release the hand brake. This will help prevent the car from rolling backwards while trying to take off. This is why most vehicles that offer a manual transmission model will always have a hand parking brake (verses a foot operated one).

I tend to work with 15.5 to 17 year old drivers. I don't assume that they would figure this all out themselves.

In my opinion, "Hill Start Assist" would be most useful on a manual transmission vehicle. Yet, it's only found on the CVT Mirages. That qualifies as a Mirage "Quirk" to me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-23-2018),x111951753 (01-29-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with you! When driving a manual, the parking brake is used all the time. If I stop briefly to do anything (like getting my mail at the end of my long driveway), I am leaving the car in neutral while the parking brake is set.
    I use the e-brake when warming up my Mirage on a cold night, while I scrape the ice off the windows. I drove a brand-spanking new forklift at work all week, a rental, and that thing's e-brake was super stiff, and everything else opposite - the 3 speed shifter lever felt like a toy flimsy

Had like 7 working hours on the odometer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive a CVT Mirage and I always set the parking brake. Once or twice I have tried to drive off with the brake set; no beeping alarm, but the car struggled to move, so it was obvious the parking brake was on (or something had gone horribly wrong).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    I drive a CVT Mirage and I always set the parking brake. Once or twice I have tried to drive off with the brake set; no beeping alarm, but the car struggled to move, so it was obvious the parking brake was on (or something had gone horribly wrong).
    If you are going to use the parking brake, these are good reasons to set it firmly. If you forget to release it, it's much easier to tell it is still set when you decide to take off.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    I have done the same with my Mirage and other cars in the past at least a few times, not the best... but I'm sure the car can take a few curbs, etc., in the life and wear and tear of the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In my opinion, "Hill Start Assist" would be most useful on a manual transmission vehicle. Yet, it's only found on the CVT Mirages. That qualifies as a Mirage "Quirk" to me.
    I agree with you and expressed this very sentiment here some time ago. I was soundly rebuked by someone who declared they were a skilled enough operator who thought such a feature to be silly! People are funny.

I found the thread: The infamous hill holder on the '17
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-23-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I agree with you and expressed this very sentiment here some time ago. I was soundly rebuked by someone who declared they were a skilled enough operator who thought such a feature to be silly! People are funny.

I found the thread: The infamous hill holder on the '17
    I guess it's a quirk of being a Mirage manual owner that I have heard of this thing called "hill start technology", but don't really understand it. My Mirage is so basic for today it really is quirky: I have no keyfob, no air, no cruise, and when I'm on a hill I roll back lol...can also trick the lights with manuals so that's good. My Mirage sure isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like that it is different and it does get attention.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I guess it's a quirk of being a Mirage manual owner that I have heard of this thing called "hill start technology", but don't really understand it.
    When you get some time read through your Owner's Manual - there's lots to these little cars that I appreciate. You can even download a copy on your smartphone and read through it when you are able, or just to have for reference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When you get some time read through your Owner's Manual - there's lots to these little cars that I appreciate. You can even download a copy on your smartphone and read through it when you are able, or just to have for reference.
    For sure, I have the English and the French copy Owner's manual, and actually come to think of it have gone through much of the Owners Manual (mostly for the stereo). The book is hilariously worded at times, and is totally one of those translated to English books.

Reading on my smart phone is something I avoid where I can... I dislike reading on screens compared to the ol' paper copy.