Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Both of our 17s have HSA. I'd prefer it didn't though. It kinda throws you off
    Pretty sure that "parking break on a hill" trick is how they used to teach drivers ed in Europe according to my old man.

My 2014 manual Mirage def does not have the HSA, for better or worse. Some weeks I'm so prone to stalling my Mirage next car might be auto, other times I love the stick

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Do Mirages have rain or speed sensitive wipers? It is not noted anywhere in the specs on my 2017 G4 SE or my sticker but I swear when on intermittent they speed up as you get faster. Or am I nuts?
    Yep right at about 60 mph.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks all, glad I am not nuts! Great feature but surprised they do not advertise it, or least didn't in 2017.

Happy New Year to all the Mirage owners!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I never realized or noticed that our Mirages had speed sensitive wipers. The owner manual refers to them. They even say -

"The speed-sensitive-operation function of
    the windshield wipers can be deactivated.
    For further information, please contact your
    authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer or a
    repair facility of your choice."

When I started looking into this I came across a car review that ripped on the Mirage for not having this feature while the other car they were comparing it to had it. See below -

The 500L’s speed-sensitive wipers speed up when the vehicle does, so that the driver doesn’t have to continually adjust the speed of the wipers. The Mirage’s manually variable intermittent wipers have to be constantly adjusted.

The Golf's rain-sensitive wipers adjust their speed and turn on and off automatically based on the amount of rainfall on the windshield. This allows the driver to concentrate on driving without constantly adjusting the wipers. The Mirages manually variable intermittent wipers have to be constantly adjusted.

These are clips from the Asbury Automotive Group. The Golf's system is actually different than the 500L, and they got that right. They don't have the Mirage exactly correct, however.

Learned something today. I didn't realize our Mirage was so sophisticated! Happy New Year Everyone!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Speck's wipers go to the next speed right around 37 - 38 miles per hour or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Speck's wipers go to the next speed right around 37 - 38 miles per hour or so.
    Same here, The factory setting is for 60kmh / 37 mph

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mirages manually variable intermittent wipers have to be constantly adjusted.
    Hey Mark, what do you think about how the speed-sensitive wiper controls work on your Mirage? This is my first vehicle with the feature but I found it works pretty good and as a result I find I make less adjustments to the wiper speed.

One thing that helped is by browsing this forum before making my purchase I was pretty thoroughly familiar with how the Mirage would work before I even purchased one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I thought HSA was designed for manuals. Never thought someone driving an automatic/CVT would ever need something like that.
    The CVT's have it because they shift into neutral when stopped to save fuel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark, what do you think about how the speed-sensitive wiper controls work on your Mirage? This is my first vehicle with the feature but I found it works pretty good and as a result I find I make less adjustments to the wiper speed.

One thing that helped is by browsing this forum before making my purchase I was pretty thoroughly familiar with how the Mirage would work before I even purchased one.
    I discovered this forum prior to purchase, too. I had thought about getting a second vehicle (economy) for quite some time. Consumer reviews on kbb.com, cars.com, & this forum are what really caught my attention. I started considering the Mirage during the summer of 2017. I didn't pull the trigger on buying one right away, but that had more to do with having two daughters, who both got married that year (August & September). That sort of tapped my savings, & I needed to let the dust settle first.

I wanted a car that would save some of the daily wear & tear of driving my Subaru Forester. For 80% of my driving, the Mirage is all I need. My daughter & son-in-law that live in Finland, & the Mirage is perfect for them to use when they are visiting the States. It would have been cheaper to get them a rental car when they visit, but I really wanted a cheap daily driver, too. It's something that I had been considering for years. Ever since I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva in 2004, I had toss around the thought of getting another economy car.

For years, I considered getting a used Toyota Echo. You could find used ones in pretty nice shape for $5000-7000 for many years. Like the Mirage, the Echo was trashed by car critics. Owners, however, loved them! Sound familiar? I never pulled the trigger on one, because I am not of a fan of sedans. I like opening a hatch & being able to throw the dog or whatever in the back.

Eventually, I began considering used cars like the Yaris, Accent, Rio5, Fit, etc... In my mind, I sort of have a limit on what I am willing to pay for an economy car (new or used). For me, that limit is about $10,000. When I realized I could buy a brand new Mirage for $10,000 “out-the-door” with no trade, I bought one. It been over a year now, & I have no regrets.

To answer your question, I didn’t realize the car has speed sensitive wipers. In hindsight, I realize they were changing speed, and that annoyed me. But I am a control freak! I like doing things for myself. Don’t care for automatic transmission or automatic climate controls. I actually prefer the manual climate controls on the new ES & LE models. I never owned an automatic vehicle. I don’t pay extra for something that I don’t want unless I really have, too! I don’t think I have ever bought any vehicle that wasn’t a base model, but some of that is driven by my desire for manual transmissions. I could have bought a SE manual in 2017, but I didn’t want some of the things it had except cruise. I may still add cruise some day, but I’ve racked up 20,000 miles without it so far. I like the Mirage, because it’s cheap, reliable, and economical. As long as the car has wipers, I am good! I have to many other things I’d rather spend money on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I discovered this forum prior to purchase, too. I had thought about getting a second vehicle (economy) for quite some time. Consumer reviews on kbb.com, cars.com, & this forum are what really caught my attention. I started considering the Mirage during the summer of 2017. I didn't pull the trigger on buying one right away, but that had more to do with having two daughters, who both got married that year (August & September). That sort of tapped my savings, & I needed to let the dust settle first.

I wanted a car that would save some of the daily wear & tear of driving my Subaru Forester. For 80% of my driving, the Mirage is all I need. My daughter & son-in-law that live in Finland, & the Mirage is perfect for them to use when they are visiting the States. It would have been cheaper to get them a rental car when they visit, but I really wanted a cheap daily driver, too. It's something that I had been considering for years. Ever since I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva in 2004, I had toss around the thought of getting another economy car.

For years, I considered getting a used Toyota Echo. You could find used ones in pretty nice shape for $5000-7000 for many years. Like the Mirage, the Echo was trashed by car critics. Owners, however, loved them! Sound familiar? I never pulled the trigger on one, because I am not of a fan of sedans. I like opening a hatch & being able to throw the dog or whatever in the back.

Eventually, I began considering used cars like the Yaris, Accent, Rio5, Fit, etc... In my mind, I sort of have a limit on what I am willing to pay for an economy car (new or used). For me, that limit is about $10,000. When I realized I could buy a brand new Mirage for $10,000 “out-the-door” with no trade, I bought one. It been over a year now, & I have no regrets.

To answer your question, I didn’t realize the car has speed sensitive wipers. In hindsight, I realize they were changing speed, and that annoyed me. But I am a control freak! I like doing things for myself. Don’t care for automatic transmission or automatic climate controls. I actually prefer the manual climate controls on the new ES & LE models. I never owned an automatic vehicle. I don’t pay extra for something that I don’t want unless I really have, too! I don’t think I have ever bought any vehicle that wasn’t a base model, but some of that is driven by my desire for manual transmissions. I could have bought a SE manual in 2017, but I didn’t want some of the things it had except cruise. I may still add cruise some day, but I’ve racked up 20,000 miles without it so far. I like the Mirage, because it’s cheap, reliable, and economical. As long as the car has wipers, I am good! I have to many other things I’d rather spend money on.
    ??

But do you like the speed sensitive wipers? After all that It's still not quite clear...