Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You sir have obviously never been caught with a dead battery in your remote or on your car. Bravo!

One can also just skip this complication and get a vehicle without doors.
    I have never replaced a battery in a car remote. Unlike a FOB key, which is constantly sending a signal, a regular remote lock/unlock only sends a signal when you lock/unlock your car. These batteries should last an extremely long time. I've never had one go dead yet. I also make a conscious effort to not leave my keys in the car (like in the garage overnight) during cold weather. I figure that may save on battery life.

Should a key remote battery (not talking FOB key here) go dead. You unlock the car with your key, put it in the ignition, and drive off. The chip that allows you start your car has nothing to do with the remote batteries.

My 2011 Subaru Forester & 2015 Chevy Impala (btw student driving car) have keys with chips. The remote lock/unlocks are separate units, & you don't need them to use the car. I leave the second chipped key in the glovebox of the Impala. If other instructors need to borrow that car, they unlock it with blank key (without a chip). Then they start the car with the key in the glovebox. I have the remotes and second chipped key for that car, because I use it the most.

Our Ford Focus driver's education cars have combination door locks. If I am using one of those cars, I unlock the car by using the combination. Pull the chipped key out of the glovebox, and start driving with students. All the other instructors that want to use that car do the same.

Last edited by Mark; 10-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've never owned a car with both a fob and a chipped key. My Vue has a fob but AFAIK the key is just a junk of brass. I might be wrong as I've never been able to get a spare cut that would work in the ignition. I tried big box and a locksmith, all were unable to cut a proper key.

I guess the current keys with the attached fob are the best compromise.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quirk found! If you manually unlock your car with a key, you have to turn the key left and leave it in the lock and then open the handle. If you turn it and pull the key out it will just lock again. Safety feature? My old Subaru never did that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

TheProfessorKMB (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I've never owned a car with both a fob and a chipped key. My Vue has a fob but AFAIK the key is just a junk of brass. I might be wrong as I've never been able to get a spare cut that would work in the ignition. I tried big box and a locksmith, all were unable to cut a proper key.

I guess the current keys with the attached fob are the best compromise.
    I don't think FOBs & chipped keys co-exist for any vehicle. FOBs are a part of push button starts. Chipped keys have to be stuck in the ignition & turned to start the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Quirk found! If you manually unlock your car with a key, you have to turn the key left and leave it in the lock and then open the handle. If you turn it and pull the key out it will just lock again. Safety feature? My old Subaru never did that.
    On my 2017 Mirage ES, turning the key left locks the driver's door. Turning the key right unlocks the driver's door, & the driver's door remains unlocked after removing my key.

If I unlock the car with the remote & don't open a door within a few seconds, the car will lock itself again. Both my Mirage & Forester do this. I like that feature. If I meant for the car to be locked, I want it locked (not unlocked accidentally).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    On my 2017 Mirage ES, turning the key left locks the driver's door. Turning the key right unlocks the driver's door, & the driver's door remains unlocked after removing my key.

If I unlock the car with the remote & don't open a door within a few seconds, the car will lock itself again. Both my Mirage & Forester do this. I like that feature. If I meant for the car to be locked, I want it locked (not unlocked accidentally).

I don't see these things as quirks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Originally Posted by Eggman You sir have obviously never been caught with a dead battery in your remote or on your car. Bravo!

One can also just skip this complication and get a vehicle without doors."

That would be a dune buggy or a World War II Jeep, and either would be a lot of fun.

I remember when cars came with two DIFFERENT keys: one for the ignition and front door locks; and one for the trunk ('the boot' for those of you who speak a different flavor of English).

Back when my cars only had external hood releases, I would take a spare ignition key, drill a hole through the bow, and thread the hole to match the threads on the air-cleaner hold-down stud (remember those round flying-saucer-like thingies under the hood?). I would remove the air cleaner cover, thread the key on to the hold-down bolt, and put the air cleaner cover back on. I was never without a spare ignition key for my car. Ironically, I never had to use them.

Can't do that these days - internal hood releases, snap-together air cleaners, alarm systems, chipped keys, etc.

The good times are dead...long live the good times!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I have the same year and model as you and mine does exactly the same thing; it's kindof annoying the doors relock automaticlly when I want them to stay unlocked while I run through the rain to get into my car. I guess Mitsubishi wants us old slow-pokes to get wet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    "Originally Posted by Eggman You sir have obviously never been caught with a dead battery in your remote or on your car. Bravo!

One can also just skip this complication and get a vehicle without doors."

That would be a dune buggy or a World War II Jeep, and either would be a lot of fun.

I remember when cars came with two DIFFERENT keys: one for the ignition and front door locks; and one for the trunk ('the boot' for those of you who speak a different flavor of English).

Back when my cars only had external hood releases, I would take a spare ignition key, drill a hole through the bow, and thread the hole to match the threads on the air-cleaner hold-down stud (remember those round flying-saucer-like thingies under the hood?). I would remove the air cleaner cover, thread the key on to the hold-down bolt, and put the air cleaner cover back on. I was never without a spare ignition key for my car. Ironically, I never had to use them.

Can't do that these days - internal hood releases, snap-together air cleaners, alarm systems, chipped keys, etc.

The good times are dead...long live the good times!
    Before remote locks, I think it was easier to manually lock your keys in the car. I always hid a spare key somewhere on the car. Back then a cheap $2 duplicate would unlock your car and turn the ignition.

My first car (1978 Honda Civic Wagon) had manual locks. Locking the driver's door required inserting/turning the key. Sort of a pain, but it prevented you from locking your keys in the car.

I remember people starting their cars up during cold weather & locking their keys in their car while it is running. Now that I think of it, that's probably why the Mirage won't let you do that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think FOBs & chipped keys co-exist for any vehicle. FOBs are a part of push button starts. Chipped keys have to be stuck in the ignition & turned to start the car.
    Maybe my terminology is wrong. I'm fairly sure my friend had a car with the FOB (bulky thing with buttons if FOB is the wrong term) that only opened her doors.

Her key was bulky, like a cauliflower around where the metal met the plastic part. I remember her telling me not to lose the key , when I borrowed her car, as it would be expensive to replace.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)