Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I checked the little fuse box on my car, it's not very accessible as it appears in the pictures. I pushed on the box and both fuses; I didn't feel them move so I think they're fully seated.

We're supposed to have extreme heat this weekend in my area (Indiana), so I'll test the problem again and see if anything changed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Trust me it's pretty stable in stock form...l take corners very...shall we say...swiftly...and no tipping...just lots of body roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    They do have a low center of gravity
    I'll agree with "pretty stable", but the Mirage absolutely doesn't have a low CG. It's a tall, narrow, short-wheelbase car with lots of glass and airbags up top.

I spent nearly two years regularly autocrossing a Mirage. I know what they do at the limit with stock suspension and tires, with stock suspension and better tires, and with modified suspension and fantastic tires.

They're fine on the street. Lots of body roll, but they'll get you there. And with the stock tires (or equivalent), the suspension is designed to put you into terminal understeer before the car tries to turn itself over... usually. But, it's not unheard of for a top-heavy car like a Mirage or Fiat 500 or Ford Fiesta to roll over, even on the street, even on stock tires.

But, the reason for this post: While the car is relatively safe on the tires it came on, if you upgrade those tires to something that's a LOT grippier, now you have enough grip to make that top-heaviness a problem. This is why I quit autocrossing my Mirage! Even with significant suspension modifications, I couldn't keep the car from going up on 2-wheels when pressed. (and when I say "pressed", I mean "pressed ridiculously hard on 205-width ultra-grippy tires on a closed course")

Don't kid yourself. It's a top-heavy car. It's fun to drive, it's nimble, but if you do the wrong thing with it, you CAN put it on its roof... especially if you've significantly upgraded the tires. Drive accordingly. (Google "Moose Test" if you want an idea of what "the wrong thing" is.)

I just did a Google image search for "Mirage Rollover" and counted 9 legit 2012+ Mirage rollovers in just a few pages of results. It happens.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-11-2021),MetroMPG (07-25-2020),MirageRally (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I'll agree with "pretty stable", but the Mirage absolutely doesn't have a low CG. It's a tall, narrow, short-wheelbase car with lots of glass and airbags up top.

I spent nearly two years regularly autocrossing a Mirage. I know what they do at the limit with stock suspension and tires, with stock suspension and better tires, and with modified suspension and fantastic tires.

They're fine on the street. Lots of body roll, but they'll get you there. And with the stock tires (or equivalent), the suspension is designed to put you into terminal understeer before the car tries to turn itself over... usually. But, it's not unheard of for a top-heavy car like a Mirage or Fiat 500 or Ford Fiesta to roll over, even on the street, even on stock tires.

But, the reason for this post: While the car is relatively safe on the tires it came on, if you upgrade those tires to something that's a LOT grippier, now you have enough grip to make that top-heaviness a problem. This is why I quit autocrossing my Mirage! Even with significant suspension modifications, I couldn't keep the car from going up on 2-wheels when pressed. (and when I say "pressed", I mean "pressed ridiculously hard on 205-width ultra-grippy tires on a closed course")

Don't kid yourself. It's a top-heavy car. It's fun to drive, it's nimble, but if you do the wrong thing with it, you CAN put it on its roof... especially if you've significantly upgraded the tires. Drive accordingly. (Google "Moose Test" if you want an idea of what "the wrong thing" is.)

I just did a Google image search for "Mirage Rollover" and counted 9 legit 2012+ Mirage rollovers in just a few pages of results. It happens.
    Like they say "everything can change in the blink of an eye"...l don't push Mirageo over the limit, just at it-which is speed limit.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    I checked the little fuse box on my car, it's not very accessible as it appears in the pictures. I pushed on the box and both fuses; I didn't feel them move so I think they're fully seated.

We're supposed to have extreme heat this weekend in my area (Indiana), so I'll test the problem again and see if anything changed.
    I agree. I had a hard time getting my hand in there to push it in. I thought yellow fuse box was in when I checked the first time. I was wrong. When I tried a second time, I realize it wasn't fully pushed in.

This may not be your issue, but it's worth checking just the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Speed limit"? The "moose test" is done at around 45 mph. Rollover issues have more to do with driver inputs than speed. It's the ol' "one-two punch" that will get you. You get the suspension all loaded up in one direction, then yank it the other direction, and all that weight above the CG gets a great deal of extra momentum going from one side to the other... and it wants to keep going. Add in a little bit of a hill or some road camber, changes in pavement grip (wet to dry, asphalt to concrete, rough to smooth, etc), and all bets are off!

Enjoy the curves, just don't make a drastic over-correction when something goes wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Speed limit"? The "moose test" is done at around 45 mph. Rollover issues have more to do with driver inputs than speed. It's the ol' "one-two punch" that will get you. You get the suspension all loaded up in one direction, then yank it the other direction, and all that weight above the CG gets a great deal of extra momentum going from one side to the other... and it wants to keep going. Add in a little bit of a hill or some road camber, changes in pavement grip (wet to dry, asphalt to concrete, rough to smooth, etc), and all bets are off!

Enjoy the curves, just don't make a drastic over-correction when something goes wrong.
    Correct...don't worry, l won't make my name "MirageCrash" ha, when you drive flat out on the track, you realize "wow, l don't have to drive like an "expletive" on the road. l appreciate my car and know 100% that it's no drift machine, just drive smart-take turns comfortably and like you said "No over-corrections".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Correct...don't worry, l won't make my name "MirageCrash" ha, when you drive flat out on the track, you realize "wow, l don't have to drive like an "expletive" on the road. l appreciate my car and know 100% that it's no drift machine, just drive smart-take turns comfortably and like you said "No over-corrections".
    Above All: Drive Safe! There are times l'll come around the corner at above the speed limit and think "huh, a lot of weight just shifted from one to the other", then l realize "stop being an idiot and drive for economy and respect the other drivers around you" so yeah my .02 cents. Drive Safe.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    "Speed limit"? The "moose test" is done at around 45 mph. Rollover issues have more to do with driver inputs than speed.

You get the suspension all loaded up in one direction, then yank it the other direction, and all that weight above the CG gets a great deal of extra momentum going from one side to the other... and it wants to keep going. Add in a little bit of a hill or some road camber, changes in pavement grip (wet to dry, asphalt to concrete, rough to smooth, etc), and all bets are off!
    Agreed!
    I don't even have a rear sway bar because its illegal to do modifications here. I do take freeway turn-offs at almost the same speed as on the straight freeway (autobahn) and have never gotten into difficult situations. But then experience counts, and unless you know very well how these cars react, don't overdo anything. Don't let the car surprise you and don't turn the wheel too fast and overdo anything...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll agree with "pretty stable", but the Mirage absolutely doesn't have a low CG. It's a tall, narrow, short-wheelbase car with lots of glass and airbags up top. ....
    Compared to the 2005 Chevy Trailblazer I had right before my Mirage, the Mirages CG is underground. It may be top heavy for a little car, but I've not felt that. Of course, I drive like an old lady...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's no SUV. And as long as you drive it appropriately, it's perfectly fine.