Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I find it kind of a quirk that only the driver door on my 2015 Mirage has a place to stick a key in. I always have to go to the driver door first, not matter what door I want to open.

My wife has the key with the little buttons on it. I hate those and hate key fobs with buttons. The last time I had one I took the battery out of it. But would putting a key lock on three or more doors have made the car prohibitively expensive?
    The cars with the FAST fobs only have a key hole on the passenger side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I find it kind of a quirk that only the driver door on my 2015 Mirage has a place to stick a key in. I always have to go to the driver door first, not matter what door I want to open.

My wife has the key with the little buttons on it. I hate those and hate key fobs with buttons. The last time I had one I took the battery out of it. But would putting a key lock on three or more doors have made the car prohibitively expensive?
    Yes. Another quirk that I find to be a disadvantage is that if you put the key in the drivers door and turn it while holding it turned for 3 seconds that this does not automatically unlock all 4 doors (the way that it does on most other cars)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Yes. Another quirk that I find to be a disadvantage is that if you put the key in the drivers door and turn it while holding it turned for 3 seconds that this does not automatically unlock all 4 doors (the way that it does on most other cars)
    I've owned my Mirage almost two years now, & I can honestly say that I have never used the key to unlock the door. Why would you bother inserting the key in the door when you can just push the unlock button on the key itself?

Maybe I am missing something here? Do people still use keys to unlock their cars these days?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've owned my Mirage almost two years now, & I can honestly say that I have never used the key to unlock the door. Why would you bother inserting the key in the door when you can just push the unlock button on the key itself?

Maybe I am missing something here? Do people still use keys to unlock their cars these days?
    I don't. It would not surprise me to learn the cylinders and tumblers in my door lock are all seized from road salt and lack of use. Here's another quirk that may have been mentioned but anyways.......

On the manual AC system the knob for directing the air can be placed in between settings giving you an additional 4 combinations of airflow into the cabin. Now that is awesome.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I cloned some keys (and recommend all to do the same while you still have 2 factory keys with buttons). Else if you lose even 1 factory key you have to pay a locksmith over $200 to get more keys cloned. I made a thread about it in the past.

The cloned keys do not have the transmitter buttons to unlock the door remotely. So for that I need to insert them into the lock. Remember to continue lubricating that cylinder at least once per year even if you dont actively use a key in it so that it does not seize up.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I cloned some keys (and recommend all to do the same while you still have 2 factory keys with buttons). Else if you lose even 1 factory key you have to pay a locksmith over $200 to get more keys cloned. I made a thread about it in the past.

The cloned keys do not have the transmitter buttons to unlock the door remotely. So for that I need to insert them into the lock. Remember to continue lubricating that cylinder at least once per year even if you dont actively use a key in it so that it does not seize up.
    Our 1997 VW Golf locked/unlocked all four doors with the key, but that car didn't have remote locks. Not sure that feature is really necessary with remote locks, unless you are using a duplicate/cloned key like you mentioned.

I was sort of joking about it all. Our driving instructors & mechanic use cheap $2 duplicates to access our cars. A chipped key is kept in the glovebox to start/drive the car, & we all know how to unlock all the doors with the unlock button inside the door.

I make it a habit of using the lock/unlock remote on my Mirage every time. I am less likely to lock my keys in the car that way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts

The passenger side lock on FAST key cars is there in case the key fob battery dies. There is a metal key contained within the fob. I have to assume the driver's side keyhole on non-FAST key cars serves the same purpose. The battery may die.

Now that I have stated the obvious, I honestly can't imagine why anyone would use a metal key to unlock their door with any regularity...unless they are stuck in 1985??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

You sir have obviously never been caught with a dead battery in your remote or on your car. Bravo!

One can also just skip this complication and get a vehicle without doors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I, personally, keep two keys with me at all times...one key by itself (in my pocket) is for the ignition (and is the only one that will actually start the car); and a second key on my belt hook with other keys (House, shed, desk, etc...). Both have the remote lock buttons, so if one is dead, the other will work, and I know it's time to buy new batteries. Either way, I'm getting into my car, even if I may not be able to drive away.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You sir have obviously never been caught with a dead battery in your remote or on your car. Bravo!

One can also just skip this complication and get a vehicle without doors.
    Hey wait a minute. When I came back from hospital in August my Mirage battery had gone flat over my 7 week absence. I remember using my button to open the door, but when I got in and tried to start the car, nada. Totally dead.

Which brings up another point. When removing the battery leads the data about the current tank of gas is wiped, as is the programmed radio buttons, yet....all the Bluetooth pairings and settings are retained.

It really makes me wonder if the master computer is totally reset when the battery is removed.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)