Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    All our 15,17 and 19's at work came with them. I haven't checked my 14' but I assume it came with one? I wouldn't lose sleep tossing mine in the trash and running without one.
    2014 comes with one. I just pulled mine out and hit it with a vacuum. Cleaned 90% of it easily. Replace these like once in the vehicles lifetime.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    2014 comes with one. I just pulled mine out and hit it with a vacuum. Cleaned 90% of it easily. Replace these like once in the vehicles lifetime.
    That's not... you do you.

Clean it however you want, then do a metered flow test on it compared to a new one. It's not a cleanable filter. At all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The cabin air filter I'd say is more for the HVAC system than you. It helps keep nasty leaves and stuff from clogging up the fins on the heated core or the ac evaporator. I've seen some really nasty evaps on older Chryslers where leaves have collected in the air box and caused it to eventually damage the evap.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    That's not... you do you.

Clean it however you want, then do a metered flow test on it compared to a new one. It's not a cleanable filter. At all.
    I just shake off the loose material and maybe vacuum off some more. I still have the original filter in place and don't worry about it much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Looked alot cleaner to me?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You can remove 90% of the dirt on a filter, massage the other 10% into the filter membrane, and end up with a filter that breathes half as well as it did with 100% of the dirt loose on it.

I dunno. We have people on here only running the most expensive oils and sacrificing or paying extra in other ways to keep these cars running their best, but yet a "$X" filter is too much work to keep fresh? What does it total, $80 for 200,000km of regular use? (No seriously I work at dealer, no idea what these filters cost people, I just know I don't see them getting dirty until, and I don't recommend a Cabin Air Filter Service until, 50,000km for $114.99)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    To my untrained eye, the OE cabin filter looks more like a screen than a filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I don't recommend a Cabin Air Filter Service until, 50,000km for $114.99)
    Mirage cabin air filters seem to be bit overpriced for what they are, but I've bought a couple (cheap Premium Guard @ rockauto.com, but no longer in stock) in the $5-7 range. Rockauto.com seems to be presently sold out of their cheaper ones.

Takes 5 minutes to change one. I spend more time emptying the glovebox than changing the filter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but I just discovered that if the hand brake is on while driving, the car gives you sound and blinking light alert. I find this feature to be pretty cool and useful. It might not be a new thing for newer cars, but the last car I had was a 2003 so this feature was a (nice) surprise for me, especially I use the hand brake to park a lot where I live

I use the park brake at home cause my street and driveway are sloped. The Mirage doesn't have enough power to drive with the ebrake on so I've never noticed or tried driving with it partially pulled. I usually forget to release the park brake on the wife's car, I never noticed any buzzer or flashing lights on her 20' Sorento like I do in my 15 year old turd pickup truck.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)