Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Maybe my terminology is wrong. I'm fairly sure my friend had a car with the FOB (bulky thing with buttons if FOB is the wrong term) that only opened her doors.

Her key was bulky, like a cauliflower around where the metal met the plastic part. I remember her telling me not to lose the key , when I borrowed her car, as it would be expensive to replace.
    I guess a FOB can mean different things for cars. Thus, I may not be using the term correctly myself?

The 2017+ ES, RF, & LE Mirages would have a chipped key & the keyless entry buttons are one unit with the key. My base level Subaru Forester & Chevy Impala have a chipped key & the keyless entry fob is attached by a key ring.

My point earlier was - these keyless remote fobs only send out a signal when you push a button to lock or unlock your car. Thus, the batteries last a very long time. I've never replaced one yet on any car with keyless locks.

A fob used with push button start vehicle is quite different, & I would guess the batteries would need to be replaced more often?

Last edited by Mark; 10-14-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A fob used with push button start vehicle is quite different, & I would guess the batteries would need to be replaced more often?
    I don't think the F.A.S.T. system with pushbutton start has a key that is much different than the base level system. It's the vehicle-mounted components that have a different arrangement. Both systems require a security code from the transponder fob in order for the immobilizer to allow an engine start.

Electronic fobs have other applications, such as access control systems for buildings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I remember people starting their cars up during cold weather & locking their keys in their car while it is running. Now that I think of it, that's probably why the Mirage won't let you do that.
    I still do that with my Mirage, only I have to use the key to lock the drivers door...the remotes won't work at all while the engine is running.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I leave the second chipped key in the glovebox of the Impala. If other instructors need to borrow that car, they unlock it with blank key (without a chip).
    You know I like that idea. The thick key was a gripe of mine and out of habit unlocked the doors manually anyway usually. Once I get driving it again I'll keep my $4 metal key on my keychain and do it like that !

I don't know if I'd call it a quirk but I noticed my windows often would fog up if I didn't have the cabin fan on at all. In other cars I've driven there's a little bit of passive airflow at speed, which probably keeps the windows from fogging up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    You know I like that idea. The thick key was a gripe of mine and out of habit unlocked the doors manually anyway usually. Once I get driving it again I'll keep my $4 metal key on my keychain and do it like that !

I don't know if I'd call it a quirk but I noticed my windows often would fog up if I didn't have the cabin fan on at all. In other cars I've driven there's a little bit of passive airflow at speed, which probably keeps the windows from fogging up.
    Have you changed your cabin air filter lately? If you haven't they get plugged up pretty quickly and can restrict airflow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-11-2021),MacClyver (10-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Have you changed your cabin air filter lately? If you haven't they get plugged up pretty quickly and can restrict airflow.
    Good suggestion! I'm planning to change all filters @ 30,000, but my windows have been worst lately, too. Need to check cabin filter asap. I buy the cheap ones from RockAuto.com. I have a few stocked up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    In other cars I've driven there's a little bit of passive airflow at speed, which probably keeps the windows from fogging up.
    In the last week or so, I noticed my windows were fogging up more than usual.

I was planning to change my filters when I reach 30,000 miles in a couple weeks. Sort of prep my car for winter. I decided to check the cabin filter today. I had good handful of insulation sitting on top of cabin air filter. I had to use a narrow nozzle on my shop vac to clean out the mess. My cabin filter wasn't really all that dirty, but the entire area was clogged up by a mouse. I cleaned it all out as good as I could. I ran the blower full speed and checked the filter again. Even seemed fine afterwards. It pays to check this! It that time of year when mice like to build nests.

I expect less fogging of the window tomorrow!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik
    Having 6k miles driven in 4 months total, and garaged the rest of it's life I doubt it's dirty. Unless there's a mouse nest like mentioned, though I never smelled mouse in it.

I'll be sure to check on that next time I'm up north. Also I now have 0w20 for it, why was I about to give up easy MPG with 5w30, IDK?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The owners manual for my '17 Mirage ES doesn't mention anything about a cabin air filter. Do I have a cabin air filter, or is there info missing from my owners manual?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    The owners manual for my '17 Mirage ES doesn't mention anything about a cabin air filter. Do I have a cabin air filter, or is there info missing from my owners manual?
    You should have one! I don't know how to copy a thread, but a member made this video and its great. You can check if its there yourself!
    Just changed mine yesterday; took 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/bsI1BI_62YE

Last edited by AtomicPunk; 10-15-2019 at 04:04 PM.