Thread: Undercoating for Winter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Undercoating for Winter?

I've heard conflicting opinions about undercoating against winter road salt. Some say that it actually contributes to hidden rust due to the humidity keeping effect of the thick coating.

In a few weeks we'll start the snowy period here in central NY and in my town roads will stay salt-spread for almost 6 months, so I'll definitely need some rust protection, even if it's just car wash under-spray.

Some advice?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

I'd avoid barrier type undercoating and use a light oil type of spray that "creeps" into cracks & crevices. (Also drips on the driveway/garage floor for a couple of days, so take that into consideration.)

Do you have commercial rustproofing services available in your area?

There are 2 or 3 different companies to choose from in eastern Ontario that will treat the entire car for about $150, which includes drilled access holes to spray the insides of rockers, doors & wheel arches as well as the underbody. Or you can get just the underbody done.

EDIT: you can also buy aerosol cans, eg:

Name:  rust-check.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  23.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)