Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spare fob key (very expensive from dealer - other options?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 18slcmirage View Post
    Stealerships
    It cost me less than $14 to program an extra third key for my Mirage. It takes two programmed keys to make a third one. If I lose a key now, I still have two programmed keys to make a cheap replacement.

You have commented to an old thread, but there are several threads on this topic. If interested, this is what I shared about this in another thread -

The blank key with chip cost $11.55 with tax (free shipping). My local ACE Hardware charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key ($2.42 with tax). An extra chip coded key for $13.97 is not bad. If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143038778358

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-13-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how the transponder actually works? I lost one of my keys last night out sledding - I thought I had my pockets zipped up but I did not. I'm using the spare now which is fine, but the battery is almost dead in it. I popped it open to look inside, and then thought I'd try starting the car without the little chip thing (red case) inside the key. The car did not start. However when I had the red case close - within a couple centimeters - of the key the car started great. Not so when the red case was put by the speedometer maybe several inches away from the ignition. The car did not start just as if it was a blank metal key. I am sad because I remember my dad's 2004 subaru that would start just fine with a key blank without any programming - just all metal. I thought I'd be able to just get a blank cut but apparently not. Haven't called the dealer yet because I don't really want to hear what a replacement will cost, but I will at some point. The alternative is to keep the red part separate from the key and hold it close to the key to start the car. I would (theoretically) be able to do this with a metal blank as well. Even if it did work, it's a hassle and increases the risk of my losing the only transponder I have now. Damn it! Name:  apart.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  44.5 KBName:  chip stuff.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  54.6 KB

I'd just order a key from amazon and see if the dealer, competent lock smith or a shop with a decent scan tool can program it for you. I have used cheapo amazon keys for our 2015-2019 Nissan's and could program the transponder and the keyless entry with an autel maxisys mini.

I was gonna do the same for a 2015 Mirage that has uses the same key as yours but the car was wrecked before I got around to even ordering a key.
    If you do try an amazon key make sure it's exactly the same one. Some have trunk buttons on the fob and I believe some have the actual key blank reversed(if that makes sense). It'd be a gamble but cheaper than trying to get a new one from the dealer..

I have a bunch of extra keys laying around from wrecks, one day I'll experiment with trying to program the transponder to another car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd just order a key from amazon and see if the dealer, competent lock smith or a shop with a decent scan tool can program it for you. I have used cheapo amazon keys for our 2015-2019 Nissan's and could program the transponder and the keyless entry with an autel maxisys mini.

I was gonna do the same for a 2015 Mirage that has uses the same key as yours but the car was wrecked before I got around to even ordering a key.
    If you do try an amazon key make sure it's exactly the same one. Some have trunk buttons on the fob and I believe some have the actual key blank reversed(if that makes sense). It'd be a gamble but cheaper than trying to get a new one from the dealer..

I have a bunch of extra keys laying around from wrecks, one day I'll experiment with trying to program the transponder to another car.
    Thanks Fummins I didn't think of that. Dealer said $358 for a key and for it to be programmed. Locksmith will do the same for $250 ($200 for key, $50 labour).

This here is a match - same style and three buttons. https://www.amazon.ca/2014-2016-Mits...%2BMirage&th=1

$70 definitely beats $200. I'd say it is worth a try. I'll do a more thorough look around to see if there's any other good options.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    Does anyone know how the transponder actually works? I lost one of my keys last night out sledding - I thought I had my pockets zipped up but I did not. I'm using the spare now which is fine, but the battery is almost dead in it. I popped it open to look inside, and then thought I'd try starting the car without the little chip thing (red case) inside the key. The car did not start. However when I had the red case close - within a couple centimeters - of the key the car started great. Not so when the red case was put by the speedometer maybe several inches away from the ignition. The car did not start just as if it was a blank metal key. I am sad because I remember my dad's 2004 subaru that would start just fine with a key blank without any programming - just all metal. I thought I'd be able to just get a blank cut but apparently not. Haven't called the dealer yet because I don't really want to hear what a replacement will cost, but I will at some point. The alternative is to keep the red part separate from the key and hold it close to the key to start the car. I would (theoretically) be able to do this with a metal blank as well. Even if it did work, it's a hassle and increases the risk of my losing the only transponder I have now. Damn it!
    This is why I had a third key made, because two keys allows me to program a third key for under $15 (includes the cost of the key & having it cut). Sadly, the ability to program your own key is not a feature offered on the Mirage in Canada. I don't mean to throw salt into your wound, but its something to take note of for those of us in the States.

I don't know your options in Canada, but my local ACE Hardware store can cut & program most any key. I had a laser cut key made for another driving instructor last summer, & it cost $85 to have it laser cut and programmed to the Ford car. I might add the key was in stock in the store, too. I just took the car to their parking lot, and they programmed the new key there. It took about 10 minutes or less. Unlike a dealership, you are not paying someone so much an hour to service your car @ a hardware store.

Not trying to sidetrack this, but laser cut keys are harder to replace. ACE had to buy a special device to cut these keys. If you don't know what I am taking about -

https://www.locksmithdenvermetro.com...r-cut-car-keys

My point is my local hardware store can cut & program almost any brand of key these days. The key I had made for this instructor doesn't have remote entry buttons. He needs to unlock the car with the key manually, but the chip inside the key will start the car. There are no batteries in this type of key. The battery in your key is for the remote entry, but you probably know that. My guess is dealership costs to have this done would have been 3-4 times more.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-06-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    Does anyone know how the transponder actually works? I lost one of my keys last night out sledding - I thought I had my pockets zipped up but I did not. I'm using the spare now which is fine, but the battery is almost dead in it. I popped it open to look inside, and then thought I'd try starting the car without the little chip thing (red case) inside the key. The car did not start. However when I had the red case close - within a couple centimeters - of the key the car started great. Not so when the red case was put by the speedometer maybe several inches away from the ignition. The car did not start just as if it was a blank metal key. I am sad because I remember my dad's 2004 subaru that would start just fine with a key blank without any programming - just all metal. I thought I'd be able to just get a blank cut but apparently not. Haven't called the dealer yet because I don't really want to hear what a replacement will cost, but I will at some point. The alternative is to keep the red part separate from the key and hold it close to the key to start the car. I would (theoretically) be able to do this with a metal blank as well. Even if it did work, it's a hassle and increases the risk of my losing the only transponder I have now. Damn it! Name:  apart.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  44.5 KBName:  chip stuff.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  54.6 KB

The transponder part of the key is the solid black box you see in the key. it is separate from the green circuit board and it does not use battery power. the Green circuit board is just for the wireless unlock/lock fob buttons. I believe our transponder is called philips crypto 46. They do make cloning chips.

Alternatively you could try and use one of those immobilizer bypass modules they sell on amazon for $15 they are normally used for remote start installs but they will allow you to start the car with a metal key without the risk of loosing your only transponder.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The transponder part of the key is the solid black box you see in the key. it is separate from the green circuit board and it does not use battery power. the Green circuit board is just for the wireless unlock/lock fob buttons. I believe our transponder is called philips crypto 46. They do make cloning chips.

Alternatively you could try and use one of those immobilizer bypass modules they sell on amazon for $15 they are normally used for remote start installs but they will allow you to start the car with a metal key without the risk of loosing your only transponder.
    A replacement key with the transponder is not that expensive, & it is a 46 chip like mentioned above.

$8.69
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28388735997...3ABFBM1qChtcZf

$12.95
    https://www.amazon.com/Keyless2Go-Re...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If I needed a key, I could buy the $8.69 key, have a hardware store cut it for $2-3, and program it to my Mirage by following the procedure in my owner manual (no tools or programming device needed). So the overall cost is very little. The catch is - you must have two working keys to do the procedure.

A car in Canada is going to require a device (hardware store that's doing them, mechanic, or a locksmith) to program the replacement key to the car.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-07-2022 at 06:12 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A replacement key with the transponder is not that expensive, & it is a 46 chip like mentioned above.

$8.69
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28388735997...3ABFBM1qChtcZf

$12.95
    https://www.amazon.com/Keyless2Go-Re...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You are correct Mark, but the original posters goal was to circumvent the cost of programing said transponder. Also not alot of people/dealers will program keys you bring in yourself off eBay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You are correct Mark, but the original posters goal was to circumvent the cost of programing said transponder. Also not alot of people/dealers will program keys you bring in yourself off eBay.
    I thought he was considering all options? If he loses his one transponder, he is ????? I understand what you are saying, but I would rather have a better plan B myself.

If he wants to live with one transponder, he doesn't need to buy any special device at all. Just leave the one chipped key in the car, & use blank cut keys to access the car. Once inside use the hidden chipped key to start the car.

We do this with the Chevy Impala that I use for driving lessons. I am the primary instructor who uses the car, but two other instructors & our local mechanic who services the car have blank cut keys. If they want access to the Impala, they use their blank key to access the car. Then they pull the chipped key out of the glovebox to drive off with the car. In this case, I have the second chipped key. I would never feel comfortable only having one of something that could be easily lost.

What's the point of a cloning chip that you mentioned? I guess I was responding to that. Why not just buy a key & have it programmed, but I may be missing something?
    Last edited by Mark; 01-07-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought he was considering all options? If he loses his one transponder, he is ????? I understand what you are saying, but I would rather have a better plan B myself.

If he wants to live with one transponder, he doesn't need to buy any special device at all. Just leave the one chipped key in the car, & use blank cut keys to access the car. Once inside use the hidden chipped key to start the car.

We do this with the Chevy Impala that I use for driving lessons. I am the primary instructor who uses the car, but two other instructors & our local mechanic who services the car have blank cut keys. If they want access to the Impala, they use their blank key to access the car. Then they pull the chipped key out of the glovebox to drive off with the car. In this case, I have the second chipped key. I would never feel comfortable only having one of something that could be easily lost.

What's the point of a cloning chip that you mentioned? I guess I was responding to that. Why not just buy a key & have it programmed, but I may be missing something?
    cloning is normally cheaper as it does not require mitsubishi specific equipment.