Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the rear seats (turn your Mirage into a mini cargo van)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    very nice. you saved me having to make a thread about how i did it... and the quality of your pics are better.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Hey, I'd have a follow-up question concerning the rear seats.
    How much do they actually weight?

I am considering to remove the seats for my road-trip for additional cargo space and send them via USPS to my new destination.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They're a few pounds, but really not that much. It was no problem at all removing them by myself.

Its definitely not worth removing and shipping them. They're really bulky too.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for this post. I was just looking at adding some dynamat in the wheel well area and wondered about getting it under the back bench seat. Do I need to remove the seat backs or will the bench come out by itself. Thanks!

Bench comes out separately, no tools required. Just pull up firmly near each front corner where the cushion transitions from "side" to "front" surface. Near where the outermost passengers' knees would be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Remy (10-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Installing a false floor to cover up the rear with oem black carpet would really sweeten the look.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pop a futon in there and you have a roadtrip machine. No more paying for hotels and airbnbs! hahaha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Pop a futon in there and you have a roadtrip machine. No more paying for hotels and airbnbs! hahaha
    I was thinking exactly this. Install a flat floor in the back, add some insulation, throw in some pillows/beanbag chairs, and you have a mini camper. Would only fit 2 people but it would be comfy. With a rooftop cargo carrier on top of the Mirage you could have enough storage for almost anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ecoboxer For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoboxer View Post
    I was thinking exactly this. Install a flat floor in the back, add some insulation, throw in some pillows/beanbag chairs, and you have a mini camper. Would only fit 2 people but it would be comfy. With a rooftop cargo carrier on top of the Mirage you could have enough storage for almost anything.
    Did anyone follow up on this? I'd be kind of curious to do this myself as I would like to camp out in my mirage.. I think we would have to make a custom fitting flat floor in the rear foot wells? Be pretty sweet actually.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome info guys, Definitely thinking about doing this, just not sure where to store the seats or if they're even worth keeping. I wonder how a cargo van conversion would affect resale value of the car down the road...
    Also, anyone want to bounce ideas for a cargo cage? I carry a lot of tools in my mirage and don't want them killing me in the back of the head if I were to get in an accident. This car has serious potential as a miniature service van.

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US