Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the rear seats (turn your Mirage into a mini cargo van)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got my '14 DE manual weighed yesterday (rear seats not removed, but always folded) and got some unsurprising results.
    Name:  KIMG0892.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  95.6 KB
    Extra ~400lb between modifications and tools/gear being hauled/hoarded in the back, also contributing to a nice 55/45 weight distribution

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've kind of outgrown the Mirage with the art shows and conventions I do. I was looking at alternative vehicles but this car has more cargo space then several of the SUVs on the market currently. The car is about to be paid off so I guess its time to start heavily customizing it. Looks like I am going to attempt this project for the weekend. I can always fab up some wood decking to even it out. Guess I will pick up a few rolls of the sound deadening stuff and I have a nice rubber backed rug to put over that to handle any extra road noise. If I can get one more trunk in it and 2 more of my quarter vending machines in it I can get at least another year of shows before I have to expand. Or maybe buy a smaller 3d printer to take to locations.

Please post pics if you mod it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I was looking at alternative vehicles but this car has more cargo space then several of the SUVs on the market currently.
    For a subcompact, it definitely earns the title SpaceStar.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Please post pics if you mod it.
    Ok I’m laughing at myself. I figured this would take an hour or so from what it took to swap seats in the Miata. I pulled these seats in about ten minutes. The underside is groody and will need to be scrubbed before I do anything to it. Not sure if the original owner was this disgusting or had kids or both. Got some rust as well hiding under here. Possibly just from spills that were never cleaned.

From here the plan is to scrub the deck then lay in that rubber backed Matt. I’ll decide on insulation once I hear how it sounds. I forgot the donut was so badly dented and worn out that I’m carrying an original wheel as the spare hence the wheel being larger than the indentation. I’ll have to tinker to figure out the new floor situation.

Not sure how to attach pictures from my phone so they may need to wait till later.

You have to switch to the desktop version to be able to attach pics. It can be used on your phone though (I'm typing my reply on the desktop version, on a phone).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I haven't had time to do anything else to it as I forgot about the parade yesterday. They had the access to our neighborhood blocked off most of the day. Great if you wanted to walk to where events were happening. Not so great if you had shopping and errands to run. Anywhere here is a picture of the nasty underside and the rubber backed rug that is just thrown over it for now. I have access to the equipment at work to start fabing up a wood deck to even it out if the boss will get out of my hair for a few hours.
    Name:  IMG_1863.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  92.7 KB Name:  IMG_1864.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  96.4 KB Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  92.7 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    nice. yeah, the seats do come out very easily.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Recently, I had to carry 15 8-foot long steel T-posts in our Mirage because my pickup was temporarily out of commission. With the rear seats laying down forward, and the front passenger seat leaning back it was possible to lay the bundles of posts on an angle through to the front passenger seat floor area. After I unloaded the posts at home, and returned the seats to normal positions, everything seemed fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Recently, I had to carry 15 8-foot long steel T-posts in our Mirage because my pickup was temporarily out of commission. With the rear seats laying down forward, and the front passenger seat leaning back it was possible to lay the bundles of posts on an angle through to the front passenger seat floor area. After I unloaded the posts at home, and returned the seats to normal positions, everything seemed fine.

Yah, it’s amazing what our little cars can haul inside!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)