Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the rear seats (turn your Mirage into a mini cargo van)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Once my daughter is safe to ride in the passenger seat the rear seat will come out and I'll put down a cut to fit closed cell high density mat topped by a rubber slab 1/8" thick or so. That should nullify most road noise.

The upside is an enormous cargo space! It will rival or exceed the space in my Saturn Vue! I'll use the Saturn if I need to carry more than one passenger, otherwise in the 3 years I owned Mirages I've never had more than one extra occupant. The rear seat won't be missed.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    So I haven't had time to do anything else to it as I forgot about the parade yesterday. They had the access to our neighborhood blocked off most of the day. Great if you wanted to walk to where events were happening. Not so great if you had shopping and errands to run. Anywhere here is a picture of the nasty underside and the rubber backed rug that is just thrown over it for now. I have access to the equipment at work to start fabing up a wood deck to even it out if the boss will get out of my hair for a few hours.
    Attachment 14654
    Not to exhume a dead horse, but this photo is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing. I have pre-ordered the Mitsubishi Mirage....of Motorcycles....the 2022 New Honda Navi, (although it does not cannot use 10% ethanol fuel and has a carburetor). My mission, which I have chosen to accept, is to remove the backseats to drive 300 miles next month in my Mirage and pickup a Honda Navi at an out of state dealership, which gets 110mpg. I have fit a compact washer before. Name:  22-Honda-Navi_RF34.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  70.2 KB

The Navi measures 1,805 mm in length, 748 mm in width and 1,286 mm in wheelbase, and has a ground clearance of 156 mm and a seat height of 765 mm. It weighs just 101 kg.

the Impossible Bottle plan is to rotate the handle bars on two axis so they can fit diagonally and tilted in have the rear wheels lifted in first and rotated over the fully reclined front seat.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-07-2022),MetroMPG (01-06-2022)

Wow - that's exciting. I think I'd prefer a Monkey, though. It's the first motorcycle that's caught my attention since I sold my Ninja 250 a million years ago.

Please reply back here to show how the Navi fit in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow - that's exciting. I think I'd prefer a Monkey, though. It's the first motorcycle that's caught my attention since I sold my Ninja 250 a million years ago.

Please reply back here to show how the Navi fit in.
    Will do! It is arriving early February. It will be my first motorcycle. Signing up for classes.

I took a class too - learned a lot. You're going to have fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

highwire (01-07-2022)

Wow, an affordable Honda! I'm tempted to get one because it's cheap and would come in handy when gas is $5/L.
    Either I can't figure out how to change colors on the website or you can only get one in Red in Canada?
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-07-2022 at 12:35 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You have expensive tastes!

The Monkey costs twice as much as the Navi (in the States at least).

Then again, the CB500X would be my first pick, & it's almost 4 times more expensive than a Navi. I probably couldn't pick up a CB500X & throw in the back of Mirage very easily either. Oh well, I am only dreaming.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Not to exhume a dead horse, but this photo is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing. I have pre-ordered the Mitsubishi Mirage....of Motorcycles....the 2022 New Honda Navi, (although it does not cannot use 10% ethanol fuel and has a carburetor).
    Does it actually state somewhere that it can't use 10% ethanol?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does it actually state somewhere that it can't use 10% ethanol?
    Yes, I asked the dealer and he said "The recommendation is no ethanol in small engines. Ethanol tends to leave residue and gunk things up over time."
    And:
    "If you must use Ethanol, I would research whether there is a specific additive that minimizes the effects of the ethanol. We recommend Sta-Bil in the tank if the bike will sit for extended periods, and if the bike is going to sit, I would not leave any ethanol fuel in it. I would not use an ethanol fuel unless there is no other option in an absolute pinch.

Premium fuel is fine, but you can run as low as 87 octane and not hurt anything. I did find a Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment on Amazon.com. They make varying quantities, so you can choose what best fits your need." I presume they meant 87 with 0 ethanol.

Carburetors are even less capable at handling ethanol. I hope that my town still has a no-ethanol station- I was never picky about this before, but would hope that motorcyclists could still have access to this- kinda defeats the whole "route 66" road trip idea but it seems some modern motorcycles are capable of it. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/g...t-magazine-mc/ Another thing is 10% ethanol is 10% "green" fuel but with a 100mpg tank I feel like I've "earned" my E0 access at 5x the fuel efficiency of most pickups. This website seems fairly up to date https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp

Edit: interesting quote from the Motorcyclist article: "Assuming your bike’s capacity is 4 gallons, the 15-foot hose’s 0.24-gallon volume is only 6 percent of the tank’s capacity. For the more common 10-foot hose it’s just 4 percent—in other words, negligible. And that’s assuming the hose is completely full from the manifold to the nozzle valve, which it may not be."

The Navi has a 0.9 gallon tank, which a .24 gallon hose with a previous vehicles fuel selection would comprise more than 26.6% of the fuel- assuming it is 15% ethanol and not 85% ethanol and sharing the same hose. That would work out to about 3.75% ethanol starting from an empty tank, with the first .24 gallon 15% ethanol and the remaining 0.66 gallons 100% E0 (assuming it is an option but without a separate hose). Seems like still a lot more ethanol than some engines can handle..
    Last edited by highwire; 01-07-2022 at 02:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Much smaller footprint but I can put the 5600w electric scooter I ride in it. Like you said it’s trying to lift it in and rotate to lay properly and then not flop around as I drive.

I also put an adult 3 wheel bicycle for my mother in it but that required the front wheel hanging out the back with the hatchback tied down over it.