Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY: Adjusting the parking brake

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It really eludes me how some manufacturers make this ridiculously difficult or impossible to do (I'm looking at you GM/Pontiac with your non-existent parking brake adjustment on my Sunfire).

I have always had a problem with many of the hare-brained, half-fast things that GM has done....

Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    You will have to remove the four 10mm nuts holding the upper console bracket to the lower console bracket. Then there will be two push clips on either side of the console under the dash and one bolt underneath a cover below the parking brake handle.

The console can then be removed. Once it is out of the way, there are two bolts on either side of the lower console bracket and one in the rear that need to be removed. The side bolts can be a slight pain because of the seat cushions and some wiring that runs over the top of them. Once that is out of the way you can adjust the parking brake per the instructions in this thread. It is really quite easy, actually. Probably ten minutes if you have never done it before, less than five if you have.

I wish Mitsubishi had skipped the rear bracket bolt on the armrest so the parking brake could be adjusted without removing the console. Or they could have even put a socket-sized hole or slot in the back of the bracket for access to the parking brake adjustment nut. It is the one thing I don't like about the factory center console.