Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Adjusting the parking brake

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

DIY: Adjusting the parking brake

I'm guessing nobody has had this issue yet, but I'm posting it here because someone will eventually need to adjust their parking brake.

Adjusting the parking brake on the Mirage is extremely simple thanks to Mitsubishi's ingenious design here. To adjust the brake, simply pop open the cover on the rear side of the center console. You'll see something similar to the picture below. To tighten the brake, tighten the nut on the center threaded rod. To loosen the brake, loosen the nut. That is it. Super simple.

Name:  miragehandbrake.jpg
Views: 15751
Size:  39.4 KB

It really eludes me how some manufacturers make this ridiculously difficult or impossible to do (I'm looking at you GM/Pontiac with your non-existent parking brake adjustment on my Sunfire).

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alpha_One (02-06-2015),Ares (09-10-2014),beerbelly58 (09-11-2014),bzacon (04-18-2017),CLARK (09-11-2014),CYY (01-31-2019),DemiRage (09-12-2014),DirectNova (09-10-2014),fifteenwindow (09-11-2014),MetroMPG (11-17-2014),satria_wr (09-11-2014),ThreePot (11-17-2014),VespaGoGo (09-12-2014),zerocul (05-10-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi are always pretty good with this
    My old car was a 2001 magna, you took out the centre console insert and it was directly under that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Same design as my 2005 Jeep Liberty.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Maybe the same guy did the design work on the clutch adjuster.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! Very cool design, I like it. Mitsubishi uses common sense when designing cars.
    Now, out of curiosity, I noticed mine will just barely hold the car with 5 'clicks' (see parking brake in maintenance section of owners manual). Any real grade requires 6 clicks, which is about all the force I feel comfortable with. Manual recommends 7-9 clicks with a force of 200N (which I assume is force measured in Newtons). Guess they mean if you pull the handle with 200N (or approx. 44lbs of force), you'll stop at 7-9 clicks?
    Don't want to stretch the cables or anything, however, sometimes a steep incline requires a fair amount of force to fully set the brake.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Q: My handbrake felt stiff.

I didnt have any adjustment with my break whatsoever. It just suddenly stiffened, i can still use the handbrake but when im on an slanting or elevated my mirage still moves. dont know if its the brake shoe or the handbrake problem.

I havent had time to check it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'm guessing nobody has had this issue yet, but I'm posting it here because someone will eventually need to adjust their parking brake.

Adjusting the parking brake on the Mirage is extremely simple thanks to Mitsubishi's ingenious design here. To adjust the brake, simply pop open the cover on the rear side of the center console. You'll see something similar to the picture below. To tighten the brake, tighten the nut on the center threaded rod. To loosen the brake, loosen the nut. That is it. Super simple.

Name:  miragehandbrake.jpg
Views: 15751
Size:  39.4 KB

It really eludes me how some manufacturers make this ridiculously difficult or impossible to do (I'm looking at you GM/Pontiac with your non-existent parking brake adjustment on my Sunfire).

Just wanted to pop in right quick.

Doing some brake work now.
    For me a deep well socket is slighly too small and the angle on that long thread bolt means you end up having to put pressure on it to pull it up with a socket.

I recommend doing yourself a favor; go ahead and pop the panel under the handle loose the give the housing more flexibility and take the securing bolt you see in the first post loose. Lift the plastic housing and now you can work a wrench.

had to loosen mine by about 2 full rotations before the deep well would go on. With out that plastic in the way I had a better angle of attack on the bolt and could loosen it right up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

I just saw this thread. I just pulled the console. 2 bolts,2 push clips and 2 minutes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2018 mirage es and when I pull that cover down there is a metal piece blocking me from adjusting the e brake. Anybody got any ideas on how I can adjust it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaldad View Post
    I have a 2018 mirage es and when I pull that cover down there is a metal piece blocking me from adjusting the e brake. Anybody got any ideas on how I can adjust it?
    Can you please post a picture of this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)