Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full grill block for 20 minutes drive?

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question Full grill block for 20 minutes drive?

Hello,

winter is coming up, so I've heard.
    My plan for this season is to beat my really low winter MPG, so I was considering a grill block as a convenient first step towards that goal.

What do you think? Would the engine be ok if I drove my daily commute with the front grill totally blocked?
    It typically takes 10-15 minutes to/from work.

If yes, how about summer temperatures in the 90F range?

thx a lot for your insights!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there, Donut. Get a scanguage so you can monitor your coolant temperature. This will tell you if you've blocked too much airflow to your radiator. You can use it to fine tune your grille block, by blocking more or less, until you find the sweet spot.

I currently have half of the letter slot blocked, and two thirds of my grille blocked. I use foam pieces that I can add or remove, depending on the weather. I'll add more as it gets colder.

I bet you'll beat last winters numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-11-2014),TXmirageGUY (12-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    In winter you for sure can get away with a full grill block. In summer, I'd probably open it up a little. I'd also open it up if you go on an extended highway/freeway drive, even in winter. They heat up fast once you get going quick.

I've run a full grill block on a few of my cars. My commute is 7 miles at mostly 45 mph. Even with a full grill block on my Prius, it doesn't get fully up to operating temperature on such a short commute in winter.

A scangauge or ultragauge is a great way to monitor coolant temps. If you want to get off cheap, wire a light in parallel with your radiator fan. If it comes on a lot, its time to open the block up more.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I've just mounted two foam pipe jackets into the top two grills and driven home safely. I didn't see a big change in the FE however. But since my tank is almost empty, I'll make a judgement after the next refill.

I wanted to buy one of these scangauges or the ultragauge, but they seem a little expensive at the moment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm, when I put fly screen behind my front bumper to protect from bug guts (VERY worthwhile DIY project!!), I started to get paranoid about adequate air flow. I had everything screened up before, but I later revised it and covered only 3/4 of the lower air vent leading to the radiator. For me, I'd be too scared to do a full grill block without what was suggested, that you get the scan guage to closely monitor those temps..but then again, any financial benefit you get from grill blocking is totally neutralized by the purchase of the scan guage! Keep us updated!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Eh, the Scangauge pays for itself very quickly in my experience. I run them in all of my daily drivers.

That being said, a screen won't restrict cooling THAT much. If all else fails, your coolant fan definitely will suck air through to keep things cool. The fan works great even with a full grill block as I've found out on several vehicles.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The $10 OBDII scanners on e-bay are a great value! You can monitor the coolant temperature with that. I have mine hooked up to an old smartphone and besides occasionally playing dashcam, that's its only duty.

I block off the upper and lower grille completely on my Focus in the winter. It really helps the car make heat and get up to temperature on the really cold days!

The thermostat is fine, but from what I understand, it only works at idle apparently. When it starts getting pressure from the water pump, the thermostat will open anyway.

It works good for shor-ish trips. 20 or so miles or so on colder days. Once you get past that ... you could overheat it.

I may-or-may-not have overheated the focus to the point it alerted me to high coolant temperature. I taped of 90% of the lower grille. Then, driving to my parents on Christmas during a snow storm, it overheated on the Interstate. Turns out the snow built up and blocked airflow completely. I ended up opening the windows and cranking the heat to MAX until it was safe to stop and remove the snow.

The cooling system is made for 4 people in the car, in death valley, with the AC on and the gas pedal to the floor.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    my USD 9,- OBD bluetooth scanner arrived and I've checked the coolant and intake temperatures. With outside temp of 17 C (62 F), it goes up to 95C (203 F) after my 15 minutes drive. The intake went up to 27 C (81 F). Now, I am wondering whether I've closed too much of the front grille. My last fill up showed only 43.8 MPG, although the trip MID were always higher than this average.

I am bit worried, since I had hoped to stay around 45 MPG also during winter and now this goal seems already out of reach in fall...

What are your thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check your tire pressures.

Let's see your grille block.

Have you considered adding a warm air intake?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Donut (10-18-2014),MetroMPG (10-19-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    make a hinge with a stick that goes to the cabine (just like the engine compartment opening lever) to manually open the blocking when it gets too hot (flintstone era rules yay!!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)