Thread: Tesla Model 3 crash at 100 mph sends burning battery cells flying into homes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Tesla Model 3 crash at 100 mph sends burning battery cells flying into homes

Story...

Residents of Corvallis, Oregon, are being asked to keep an eye out for battery cells ejected from a Tesla Model 3 that veered off the road at over 100 mph. Some of the cells catapulted from the high-voltage battery pack have already been found, including one that smashed through a window, landed on a bed, and started a fire.

One battery ended its flight on a person's lap.

Police officers explained the crash happened on November 17, 2020, at about 10:18 p.m. Investigators say the driver lost control of the Model 3 and broke — somewhat ironically — a power pole, knocked over two trees, and struck a telephone junction box before coming to a stop. He left a 300-foot-plus streak of damage and debris.

One of the 3's tires struck the second story of an apartment complex with enough force to break the water pipes embedded in the wall. One apartment's bathroom was destroyed, according to the Corvallis Police Department, and another was flooded. While that's hardly unusual in a high-speed accident, law enforcement officers added that the punctured battery pack scattered cylindrical cells like confetti as the car ricocheted off of the various obstacles in its path.

It sounds like none of the nearby residents showered by cells were seriously injured.

Photos taken after the crash show that the entire passenger side of the 3 was ripped off. The driver survived, miraculously. He fled on foot, was caught three blocks away, and was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries. After testing positive for cannabis (a friend of Dirk maybe?) , he was charged with a DUI, a hit-and-run, reckless driving, reckless endangering, and criminal mischief. The story didn't end when the wreck was hauled to the scrap yard, though.

Police officers spent nearly three hours cleaning up the scene of the accidents and picking up stray battery cells, according to The Drive, and they don't think they've found them all. Folks who live in the area are being warned that the battery cells can stay hot to the touch for up to 24 hours, can cause burns if handled without protection, can release toxic fumes, and can leak harmful substances. Police say residents who find a cell should report it to the Corvallis Regional Communication Center so it can be safely collected and disposed of.

Name:  Tesla1.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  Tesla2.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  Tesla3.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  72.2 KB

Link to original story: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/19/...#slide-2279191

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Sounds like a bad case of operator error!

Reminds me of this one:

Mentor man dies after car launches up embankment, hits third floor of Willowick apartment building

Quote Originally Posted by cleveland.com | Posted Apr 22, 2010 | Updated Jan 12, 2019 | By Donna J. Miller, The Plain Dealer With Pat Galbincea
    WILLOWICK, Ohio -- A 26-year-old Mentor man died early Wednesday when his car sped at about 100 mph up an embankment, flew 173 feet through the air and slammed into an apartment building between the third and fourth floors.

The car hit an unoccupied apartment in the east building of Shoregate Towers.

Carmen Ritacco was dead at the scene. The impact, which caused the car to burst into flames, completely flattened the silver 2005 Chevrolet Malibu.

Investigators said they did not know what caused Ritacco to drive into the mound, which launched his car into the air.

"His family was stunned, unable to explain it," Willowick Police Chief Michael Lazor said.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-23-2020 at 08:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    In Oregon testing positive for Cannabis is not a presumptive DUI conviction because there is no set level which indicates intoxication. Now, needless to say this driver's dedication to really going all out would definitely indicate some impairment. If you're a 4WD off road kind of person this wreck meets the definition of "full send".
    Last edited by inuvik; 11-23-2020 at 08:41 PM. Reason: syntax

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-23-2020),Fummins (11-23-2020),Top_Fuel (11-24-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That guy could of smoked a joint days before and then just wrecked his car, stone sober. That's bs he got a DUI. Did the police do a sobriety test? Could the guy not walk in a straight line?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That guy could of smoked a joint days before and then just wrecked his car, stone sober. That's bs he got a DUI. Did the police do a sobriety test? Could the guy not walk in a straight line?
    They might have charged him with DUI, but convicting him of DUI is another story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-23-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    They might have charged him with DUI, but convicting him of DUI is another story.
    Yeah with prohibition slowly but surely ending I suspect this is scenario is going to challenged at the highest levels. If a new testing method that has proven accuracy, is instilled I'd respect that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    In Oregon testing positive for Cannabis is not a presumptive DUI conviction because there is no set level which indicates intoxication.
    I found this informative link about marijuana DUI laws in Oregon. It's a good read for someone who smokes...even if you don't live in Oregon.

If there's something to be learned here (other than not driving your car into a tree at 100 mph) it might be that if you do smoke, you'd better know what your rights are in your state before you get pulled over. Any DUI charge is an expensive proposition...even if you are ultimately cleared.

I still can't believe the driver crawled out of that mess and ran away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I still can't believe the driver crawled out of that mess and ran away.
    He was impaired?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)