Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a very interesting conversation with the manager at the dealership

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was surprised when I went to SA on the mirage numbers up there. I think I saw at least 3 in base.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have a blue ES like your - a 5-speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a blue ES like your - a 5-speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Which is why I was frankly amazed that Mitsu's U.S.A's official response on that question (lack of rear stabilizer bar) is "we don't think it needs one."

Duh. To minimize complaints from the auto journalists, of course it does.
    What Mitsu really needs is maybe a dozen or so cars specifically for the auto journalists. They would be a be a bit different than the regular cars in a few ways:

1) Absolute base model instead of top of the line so there wouldn't be those annoying "for the same price you can get a Prius C" quotes.

2) Stabilizer bar would be included, because it takes a week or so to get used to the Mirage, and auto journalists won't spend that much time on a particular car.

3) Every 60 seconds, the car would announce the MPGs for the last minute over the sound system and tell you how much you saved compared to some other random car. It's too easy to write "This car gets get great gas mileage" and then spend paragraphs complaining about how the dashboard is made of hard plastic instead of imported Uzbekistani leather...auto writers need something to write about, and an incessant reminder of how fantastic the MPGs are would be ideal.

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what engine the sedan will end up with. Sounds like it'll be a shoe in for an engine swap!
    If it's the Attrage that is made here in Thailand it has the same engine as the Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    What Mitsu really needs is maybe a dozen or so cars specifically for the auto journalists. They would be a be a bit different than the regular cars in a few ways:

1) Absolute base model instead of top of the line so there wouldn't be those annoying "for the same price you can get a Prius C" quotes.

2) Stabilizer bar would be included, because it takes a week or so to get used to the Mirage, and auto journalists won't spend that much time on a particular car.

3) Every 60 seconds, the car would announce the MPGs for the last minute over the sound system and tell you how much you saved compared to some other random car. It's too easy to write "This car gets get great gas mileage" and then spend paragraphs complaining about how the dashboard is made of hard plastic instead of imported Uzbekistani leather...auto writers need something to write about, and an incessant reminder of how fantastic the MPGs are would be ideal.
    Interesting idea. I find myself sometimes making that mistake comparing cars too. On one hand a car has dozens of relatively trivial benefits over another, but on the other hand it is $thousands more expensive. I'm convinced that at the end of the day the Mirage will be the winner in total cost of ownership for a new car. As basic transportation, nothing could beat it. That said, I am seriously considering both the Mirage (ranked last by USnews) and the Honda Fit (ranked first) and really can't understand why they are that far apart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by chris2004 View Post
    If it's the Attrage that is made here in Thailand it has the same engine as the Mirage.
    We're getting persistent rumours -- including from dealerships -- that the sedan for North America will have a somewhat more powerful engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    We're getting persistent rumours -- including from dealerships -- that the sedan for North America will have a somewhat more powerful engine.
    Since it weighs more I could see that as a possibility. I just hope they don't start adding things to the mirage that would rise it from its current price range. It's perfect where it is right now. Go any higher and it risks losing its market viability.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can get a new '14 Lancer ES with the C.V.T. for $15,900 . Hopefully the Mirage sedan would be in that price range or less .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A new 2008 base Yaris with a 4 speed automatic cost us $14,000 before tax , etc.. That had 60/40 split folding rear seat and pull out arm rest with cup holder . Also had many other nice features you'd find in more expensive car . Had many issues with it and the new recalls didn't help . A shame , really enjoyed the ride , room , gas mileage , etc..