Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a very interesting conversation with the manager at the dealership

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Had a very interesting conversation with the manager at the dealership

We were talking about the Mirage, since I had it there for scheduled service. I was telling him how happy I am with the car, and we continued on talking about its virtues, etc. Some nice tidbits:

• They are *very* much aware of the bad press, and were honestly surprised by it all.
    • They were even more surprised about the great sale numbers they're having. At least in San Antonio, the Mazda 2 was the king of the segment. Now they sell two Mirages for every Mazda 2.
    • He added that these sales have been done basically without any real marketing. It's been mostly word of mouth, or people that stop by the dealership and fall in love with the lil' cars.
    • Quite a few people that work for Mitsubishi sales have bought Mirages for themselves or family members. They like them that much.
    • Many buyers are not first-time buyers or low income people. A big chunk are people who are fed-up of paying through the nose for gas. People that have quite good income numbers and just want a city runabout.
    • There's gonna be a big marketing push (at least in Texas).
    • Attrage is definitely coming in, with a slightly mre powerful engine.
    • He also confirmed the front-end restyling for 2016, and yes it'll have the big-mouth design.
    • At least in this dealership, they will start selling color-matched Sparco wheels. Yep, that means I could get Kiwi Green 14"Sparco's for $740 installed, with no warranty issues. LOL
    • Definitely no major service issues. Car is dead reliable so far.
    • I told him about this forum. I hope he takes a look.

That's about it. Not earth-shattering, but it was a pretty good conversation.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kerc For This Useful Post:

Ares (09-18-2014),Canoehead (09-15-2014),Daox (09-15-2014),IwantaMirage (09-15-2014),MetroMPG (09-15-2014),Mikhail (09-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    They are *very* much aware of the bad press, and were honestly surprised by it all.
    With all due respect, that means they didn't do their basic research!

Because we've had the benefit of reading reviews from all around the world for more than a year before the car became available on this side of the pond, and those members of the American press who were negative about the car haven't said anything different than other countries' journalists have complained about.

I am convinced, for example, that the main reason the new Canadian Nissan Micra (closest competitor to the Mirage) has front & rear stabilizer bars is due to the negative press about the Mirage's handling. (Meanwhile I've read Euro reviews which say their front-stabilizer-bar-only Micra is too rolly-polly.)

Which is why I was frankly amazed that Mitsu's U.S.A's official response on that question (lack of rear stabilizer bar) is "we don't think it needs one."

Duh. To minimize complaints from the auto journalists, of course it does.

Attrage is definitely coming in, with a slightly mre powerful engine.
    Cool!

He also confirmed the front-end restyling for 2016, and yes it'll have the big-mouth design.
    Clarification... does that mean the hatch will get the sedan's current face, or that both will get the corporate "shark mouth" style?

Definitely no major service issues. Car is dead reliable so far.
    Nice.

Also excellent to hear employees are buying them.

Thanks for the intel!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Kerc that's a Great post you wrote!!!!!! That manager needs to spread his ideas all over the US!!!!!!! Ive noticed that Texas is the Capital of the Mirage Invasion and I liked the part that People are Fed up with High Gas prices! !" ME TWO here in the Pacific Northwest gas is Really High! Always over 4.00. A gal.I. can get in my mirage and drive to the coast and back for less then 20.00 that's Fabulous. Mirage fever
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And I live at least 175 miles one way to the coast. If I take my truck and Camper it cost me over 100 !!!!! Just to go on a short. Camping. Trip!!! That is Totally A RIP OFF!! So the mirage is the way to go.my friend saw my mirage yesterday and he really liked it when I told him the gas mileage he said WOW He couldn't believe it.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what engine the sedan will end up with. Sounds like it'll be a shoe in for an engine swap!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    In Denmark we love small cars. The WV UP has been a top seller for the last couple of years. I think it lacks the charm of the Mirage.
    I start the day with a big smile when I drive to work Now 3 month delivery for the top trim.
    Hope for the fever here too !!!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Ask the manager why you can't get the 15" rims as fitted to Australian cars. They would also look good in green!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 40.0 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    • Many buyers are not first-time buyers or low income people. A big chunk are people who are fed-up of paying through the nose for gas. People that have quite good income numbers and just want a city runabout.
    I'm not surprised by this at all. When Mitsubishi offered test drives at the local Mirage launch event back in 2012, most of the people who were lining up looked like they were middle aged dads. I was definitely the youngest guy there by a margin of nearly two decades - you had to write down your age after you show them your driving license, so I knew (I was 24, nearly everyone else was 40+).

I know the car is meant for first-time buyers, and that's pretty much all the car that people in my demographic can afford. That said, people of my demographic or younger still tend to drool when they see at Ford Mustangs and Subaru STIs and Toyota 86s. :P

In my observation, my car best appeals to an even younger set; i.e. little kids, aged 3-11. I actually drove past a bunch of such girls yesterday and I overheard one of them say, as I drove past, "Wow, green!" Kids tend to be pointing at my car when I drive past, saying things like "that's the car I want!", or even "that's a Mirage!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-16-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is great news!!! Progress is progress!! Thanks for the update kerc! Go Mirage!!!!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least in this dealership, they will start selling color-matched Sparco wheels. Yep, that means I could get Kiwi Green 14"Sparco's for $740 installed, with no warranty issues. LOL
    Those will look cool, and maybe even a different color than the body, like red car, black wheels, or black car red wheels, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)