Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to choose? How to avoid regrets?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

How to choose? How to avoid regrets?

I've been thinking far too long, and far too hard, on what my next car will be. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Mirage base/manual, or the new Honda Fit base/manual. I expect to keep whatever I buy for at least 10 years, and want to avoid regretting my choice for 10 years.

I value efficiency and long term reliability foremost. Handling, comfort, performance, and appearance are not priorities. Most of my driving is highway or country roads, some gravel, some city, some winter.

The actual differences between the two are quite small, with both being spacious enough (though the Fit more so) and both being efficient (though the Mirage more so). The Fit costs more, but has Honda's quality reputation behind it, a local dealer I am pleased with, and I might appreciate being able to pile lots of stuff in and help folks move. The Mirage costs considerably less, and I think I would enjoy watching my scanguage in amazement while driving 78km/h. I like the Mirage's low-tech approach, but suspect Honda's high-tech will work well too.

I believe the answer isn't in deciding "which car is better", but rather convincing myself that whichever one I choose is an acceptable choice, and the grass isn't always greener.

Any words of wisdom from you who have been 100% pleased with a decision you have made, or those of you who were left gnashing your teeth?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Go with the Mirage, the warranty more than covers your needs. If you were to go for the Honda, I believe the warranty period is only 36 months, and believe me when I say this, Honda's long-lasting reliability doesn't really carry through to their newer lineup. Four years later and I already hear steering rack creaking, loud injectors and a battery failure on a family member's Civic (note that this person is a very conservative driver).

I was in the same position 6 months ago, test drove the fit, and it handled quite a bit better than the mirage in regard to suspension, but the overall feel, look and design was quite lackluster.

You'll be satisfied with whichever vehicle you choose, I'm sure, and maintenance down the road is anything but demanding, so really it's up to you. The Mirage, however, will not have as strong of an aftermarket support as the Honda, or at least that is what I presume.

Please Note: This post refers to the Second Generation Honda Fit, not the new Third Generation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hank For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (09-15-2014)

I've been thinking far too long, and far too hard, on what my next car will be.
    Yes. Yes, you have.

I've read all your posts, and am surprised you didn't mention the dealership experience again.

You're going to have a relationship there for the next ~10 years, and have said several times that you weren't pleased with your experiences at the local Mitsu store so far. (Didn't you also say you have a good relationship/experience with the Honda dealer?)

Personally, I'd still pick the Mirage because I like the car's efficiency and value for money more than I'd care about the dealership issue. I'm not sure how you'd predict the reliability though (both are relatively new vehicles/engines).

Disclosure: I've owned 3 used Hondas (I actually just picked up a Civic for a winter car) and zero Mitsubishis. I'm sure one day I'll own a used Mirage.

However, the dealership question sounds like a bigger stumbling block for you.

The only way to know for certain which car will lead to fewer regrets is to buy both and ask the question again in 10 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (09-15-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes. Yes, you have.

I've read all your posts, and am surprised you didn't mention the dealership experience again.

You're going to have a relationship there for the next ~10 years, and have said several times that you weren't pleased with your experiences at the local Mitsu store so far. (Didn't you also say you have a good relationship/experience with the Honda dealer?)

Personally, I'd still pick the Mirage because I like the car's efficiency and value for money more than I'd care about the dealership issue. I'm not sure how you'd predict the reliability though (both are relatively new vehicles/engines).

Disclosure: I've owned 3 used Hondas (I actually just picked up a Civic for a winter car) and zero Mitsubishis. I'm sure one day I'll own a used Mirage.

However, the dealership question sounds like a bigger stumbling block for you.

The only way to know for certain which car will lead to fewer regrets is to buy both and ask the question again in 10 years.
    Thanks Metro! I believe you have hit the nail on the head with buying both. Plus I could have my first and second choice in colours. That does cost a bit more, though.

Sorry about my incessant whining (my roomate has had to hear more of it). I'm thinking that while I don't want to reward the bad dealer, I may not be willing to pay $4000 just on "the principle of the thing". In the mean time I will sit here waiting for the Focus to die. It just rolled over the 200km mark and isn't making any bad noises, so it might have a bit of life left.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had my Mirage for almost 2 months now. Absolutely love it and am confident I made the right decision. I live 4 hours away from the nearest dealer. I do not plan on going to the dealer for anything. So far no issues at all with the vehicle, consistent 47+ MPG, really happy with it. No regrets, just smiles!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fatcat For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (09-15-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I really think you'll be happy with either of them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (09-15-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my new Mirage, our last mitsubishi saved out lives (we were rearended by a Dodge Ram 3500 dually, totalled our 2011 Galant, and we walked away. That and the Mitsubishi warranty, made my decision pretty easy on what car to buy.

If its a dealer issue, do what I did ( my local Mitsu Dealer is a Joke, so I went to another Mitsu Dealer over an hour futher drive... )

Imho, I would spend the extra and get an ES model, but I like the push button start and other features

Whatever you choose, enjoy! Life is too short to dwell on the past.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 09-15-2014 at 11:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiwi For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (09-16-2014),Canoehead (09-15-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have had my Mirage for almost 2 months now. Absolutely love it and am confident I made the right decision. I live 4 hours away from the nearest dealer. I do not plan on going to the dealer for anything. So far no issues at all with the vehicle, consistent 47+ MPG, really happy with it. No regrets, just smiles!
    Fatcat did you get the manual transmission or CVT?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Fatcat did you get the manual transmission or CVT?
    Got the 5 speed manual in the ES trim...Love it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fatcat For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (09-16-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got the DE 5-speed with Bluetooth as the only option. My only regret? Signing up for that EasyCare thing. Should have declined it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)