Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Real MPG

Hi,

I have a little dilemma with mpg calculation.At the pump I really do not know when is full or when to stop.
    My previous car Hyundai accent , I could see the gasoline at the cork. With mirage, Im fighting with the pump. I tried to pull the pump's nozzle and add more gas but it is foaming a lot. Adding up to the cork is kinda pain and i could not achieved that. It is very dark (maybe I should use matches to see in the dark? LOL).
    Im getting constant AVG Mpg 58 calculated by computer. If I check miles to empty, Im getting approx 55 mpg, but at the pump my calculation is 52mpg. I know some members found that car's calculations are optimistic.

I want to know your approach to get real numbers.

Tom

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage de 1.2 automatic: 52.8 mpg (US) ... 22.4 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 63.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I keep it simple. I fill to the first click. Then I calculate actual mileage. The MFDs are never 100% accurate.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I keep it simple. I fill to the first click. Then I calculate actual mileage. The MFDs are never 100% accurate.
    That's the proper way for accuracy. I used to track both MFD mileage and actual calculated(miles driven/gallons used). The MFD ALWAYS overstated by 4-5 %(this was on a 2009 Honda Fit).

I have heard to also stop filling at the first click, going farther can cause environmental issues as there can be excess vapor or liquid gas from overfilling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This is the only way I do mine. Have an app that does all the math for me and keeps track.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fill to first click..
    I use "my cars" app
    Accuracy gets better over time as more fill ups are averaged in.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with the "first click" method, with a few details. It is important if doing this and wanting consistency to use the same pump, inserted in the same way, set on the same speed. Even then, if another is using the other side of the pump his/her clicking on and off can trigger your nozzle to stop (former gas jockey, here!) The differences will be minor, though, and averaged over time should work out just fine. I too found the Mirage difficult to fill, and suspect there might be some sort of pressure release valve causing issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Always 1st click and pump it at fast setting . Also try to use same pumps . Not good to overfill due to damage of the emission system .

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    These are recent videos of gas mileage for RADZ '14 ES with a C.V.T.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH83EtnJ9UE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akIeFBO_koA .

I go to 3 clicks but it's the same idea as 1 click.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Somewhat related to this thread is the fuel gauge in the car. Realize they can be inaccurate. Our fuel tank holds 9.2 gallons of fuel. Fuel gauge has eight bars on it. 9.2 divided by 8 = 1.15. Do you think it is safe to say that if you notice the gauge dropping to two bars remaining, there is 2.3 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank? If that is a reasonable conclusion, one would expect the fill up to take 6.9 gallons of fuel. This might help as when to stop filling tank and which "click" to stop at. Thoughts?

Using what may be an inaccurate method to fill tank (Two bars remaining = 2.3 gallons), I was able to place 7.14 gallons into tank; went to the third "click". Results were 40.6 MPG (290 miles).

Last edited by BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT; 09-20-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: additional information

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)