Thread: Starter/Ignition Fail

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Starter/Ignition Fail

Hi, I just joined today and a noob here. Our car is a Mirage glx a/t 2013 model. The car failed to start today, first try was sort of hi-pitch sound when i turned the key, twice it was like it cranks but fails to maintain continuity to make engine running as if its losing gas, then engine eventually dies down. Phoneline is down today but I have yet to call the dealer if warranty covers starters/ignition.

Would appreciate any inputs and suggestions. Thanks

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Clogged gas line?

Warranty would surely cover this.Another possibility: fuel vapor lock?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Warranty would surely cover this.Another possibility: fuel vapor lock?
    Fuel vapor lock is nearly impossible on a fuel injection setup. Especially considering the fuel rail and exhaust manifolds are on opposite sides of our engines.

Yes, I would have thought so too.

Yet I know of someone with a brand new Nissan that experienced it on a very hot day this summer. Unusual for sure. I just thought I'd put it out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zig View Post
    Hi, I just joined today and a noob here. Our car is a Mirage glx a/t 2013 model. The car failed to start today, first try was sort of hi-pitch sound when i turned the key, twice it was like it cranks but fails to maintain continuity to make engine running as if its losing gas, then engine eventually dies down. Phoneline is down today but I have yet to call the dealer if warranty covers starters/ignition.

Would appreciate any inputs and suggestions. Thanks
    My starter motor got replaced before I even got to pick up the car. Was a recall. Mine is still faulty, sometimes when I start the car it just squeals loudly. Going to complain when I take it back for the service.

Ok... are you guys talking about this? http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...lywheel-defect

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ok... are you guys talking about this? http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...lywheel-defect
    Yep, exactly.
    But mine is manual and has already had the starter replaced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    Fuel vapor lock is nearly impossible on a fuel injection setup. Especially considering the fuel rail and exhaust manifolds are on opposite sides of our engines.
    I have a modern fuel injection vehicle that does it. Not quite , but something similar. The fuel rail is right on top of the exhaust manifold that has two catalytic converters integrated. Shut it off on a hot day and the fuel boils and it runs quite poorly for about 30 seconds. A true "vapor lock" isn't really possible with the pressure that's run through modern fuel injection systems.

Only Chrysler can be a big enough screw up to cause a fuel injected vehicle to vapor lock :S