Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Front speaker replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Are the rear speakers in the rear doors?
    Yes and
    And is the installation procedure exactly the same as the procedure for the front speakers?
    Pretty much, except for a few less wires to get in your way.

I replaced all four speakers and detailed the install in Speck's Garage entry here. The subsequent posts include lots of pictures and details of how I went about the changeover and mistakes made along the way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes and
    Pretty much, except for a few less wires to get in your way.

I replaced all four speakers and detailed the install in Speck's Garage entry here. The subsequent posts include lots of pictures and details of how I went about the changeover and mistakes made along the way.
    Do you think I will be okay just with changing the front speakers?
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think I will be okay just with changing the front speakers?
    Tough call. You gotta see for yourself to know if it's enough. Personally, I think that once you get the fronts changed out and start fiddling with your fader control you'll know pretty soon if it's worth the expense. I think once you notice the difference a quality speaker makes, you'll want to have all four speakers done. The nice thing is you're not pressed for time, so you can wait for discounted offers to come your way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Crusher47 (09-26-2018),fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tough call. You gotta see for yourself to know if it's enough. Personally, I think that once you get the fronts changed out and start fiddling with your fader control you'll know pretty soon if it's worth the expense.
    Yes I am going to see what results I get with these and then will decide if I am going to use same brand/model for the rears. I do plan to upgrade the headunit but was not planning to do it for another year or 2. I am waiting for the price of fancy android radios to come down and for the technology to mature. You can get a beautiful flat screen TV for 300$ or less nowadays but 5 years ago it would have been $1000 for the same.

Finally the technology for flat screen tvs has matured and the economies of scale are great enough for substantial savings. But I dont know how fast this will translate to car stereos and the reason why is this:

The bulk of people are paying for a higher trim that includes a fancy stereo when buying the car at Dealership. Also manufacturers are using proprietary dashboards that are almost impossible to fit an aftermarket unit. And now the majority of car manufacturers are in cahoots to employ this unfriendly strategy across the board. They dont want people buying aftermarket radios, they want you to shell out the big bucks and upgrade to the fancy trim with navigation radio, moonroof, alloy wheels and all the fixins.

So because of this unfriendly trend it will take some time for the price of android/apple stereos to come down. In fact we may never see them drop under 100$. You know, I thought there was a law against collusion but yet the car manufacturers are getting away with this thievery and its not secret that they are all in cahoots and decided "Hey guys, lets all make proprietary dashboard consoles so that people will no longer be able to buy aftermarket radios".

It is collusion what they are doing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The speakers are a nice start. Do you think you need a new radio, especially for listening to audio books? I've thought some sort of navigation thingy would be cool, but for the most part I know where I'm going (usually.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The speakers are a nice start. Do you think you need a new radio, especially for listening to audio books? I've thought some sort of navigation thingy would be cool, but for the most part I know where I'm going (usually.)
    Im glad you articulated it. Do I really need a new radio? And the answer is no. Especially for me that just listens to self-help seminars and audiobooks. Occasionally I will listen to music (When I have passengers). But most of the time I only give myself permission to listen to music when I am doing chores. I consider music to be like candy. So I only allow myself to indulge when I am doing chores or some sort of work.

In the car it is usually personal development audiobooks or silence where I am introspective.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I changed out the stock speakers for some Infinities. Just speakers alone made a difference. Sounds much nicer. If anything at all the car needs upgraded speakers. At first i put a set of speakers but they ended up being defective so I ended up installing the Infinities. I’ve taken off and put back on all 4 door panels multiple times. Super easy to do but be careful because they scratch easy. I bent a tab on the front passenger window/lock panel putting it back together one time. Get your self a set of panel removal tools. It makes the job easier plus it helps to avoid scratching up the door panels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the car it is usually personal development audiobooks or silence where I am introspective.
    Me too.

Talk about topic drift.

P.S.: You might be surprised but I'm pretty sure that the driver's ears are closer to the rear set of speakers than the fronts. So think about doing the rear set first.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-13-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! I had no idea that the rear speakers would be closer to my ears. I will do the rears first. Im just going to order another set that at 30 RMS Kenwood or 40 RMS Pioneer and just sell the kickers on Craigslist.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Installed 4 Audiobank 600 watt 3 way Speakers. I cut up the speakers, used them for the new speakers, and maintained all factory wiring. It's amazing how much better they sound.

(blank signature)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-12-2020)