Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Front speaker replacement

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    1. Not worth it, you need a new head unit (know from experience). The stock system actually works pretty well with the stock speakers, even though the speakers are only whizzer cones. Completely embarrasses the systems of Subarus and Toyotas in my family.

2. You can fit them without modifying the triangle space if the speakers are narrow enough. You'll need to drill holes to mount them, of course.

Country
    South Africa
    Thanks
    What is the size off the speakers you have used.... Is it the 6 1/2inch as referenced??
    One day my blue eye girl will go stutututu

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    I only switched the front speakers, but left the back ones. I found this to be a happy medium as the highs are now more brilliant coming out of the front, but I found that the stock speakers are better with the lows.

The new Fosgate Punch speakers on the front seem more efficient because I don't need the volume turned up as high to get the same amount of volume, so I have faded the speakers more towards the back to get the proper balance. Now the back speakers provide the lows whilst the front provide crisper mids & highs for a proper all around balance. I'm actually gad I kept the stock speakers in the back for the lows, though in the future I might consider installing a woofer, I just don't know where I would fit one o a tiny Mirage. XD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fanfare For This Useful Post:

Crusher47 (09-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I upgraded my setup some more. I have 12" Pioneer pro TS-W3003D4 out of my old lexus and planet audio TRQ1.3000D sub amp. I made the sub enclosure out of plywood and painted it black. Someone on the forum has put dimensions I borrowed. It does take up a lot of hatch storage but I don't use it all that much so no big deal to me. When I installed that, I noticed the chinese android head unit only had one mono output for the sub. I also measured the voltage coming out and got .8v, no bueno. So, I bought a cheap Pioneer single DIN Pioneer MVH-S501BS from Crutchfield. 4v outputs with crossovers! When I swapped it out, I added a kenwood KAC-M3004 after seeing Bigdwiz dyno it and get over 700w! I got mine from Amazon for $104! It's a VERY compact class D. I ran my speakers in parallel 2ohm so I can't fade front to back but since all 4 speakers are the same, it doesn't matter. After some fiddling with it, I must say my stereo is now nearly competition quality for just a few hundred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99tiyWuuAGM

The Pioneer pro I paid like 80 for about 4 years ago and the planet audio sub amp was about 140. It's wired to 2ohm. I ran 4 gauge from the battery to under the passenger seat, where both amps were installed. Had issues with heat cutting the planet audio off. Installed an 8" cross flow fan on a relay and now it'll run for hours. Let me repeat that, I have both the class D amps under the passenger seat and they don't overheat with the fan!

The run from the battery to the passenger seat is quite short, so 4 gauge is probably sufficient. 2/0 would be better but I'll run it like that for now, since I already had it out of my Lexus.

You'll probably need to buy new clips for the kick panel and sill plate panel because mine broke.

My speaker wires and RCAs are just shoved under the console. Can't see them unless you put the seat all the back.

If you only want 1 amp, I'd recommend one of these 5 channels Bigdwiz dyno tests here. The Pioneer I'm not sure would fit, so measure it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_QOhoWnsU

You probably don't need as much subwoofer as I have but it's nice to have. I keep the dial turned down all the way 99% of the time.

I also recently upgraded the factory battery to the biggest CCA one I could fit since my factory battery was damaged from the car sitting for a year or more at the dealer.
    Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 03-04-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Since you have a pioneer stereo, you might be interested in my thread for how you can use steering wheel controls with it. I need to update the diagram. I'll try to get to it this week.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...Pioneer-Radios

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't hack your ****ing car up, just buy these FFS. Literally twists in like the stock speaker. Before I found these I hacked up the stock speakers and mounted my new speakers to the stock speaker plastic which kinda works, but once my spinal cord injury heals (still hoping) I will be buying a set of these for front and rear to re-mount my speakers, as well as a speaker upgrade from polk db651's to polk mm6502's and mm652's in the rear.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-SAMI651-2007-Mitsubishi-Outlander/dp/B01N8Y6V2G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521599708&sr=8-3&keywords=speaker+adapter+mitsubishi&dpID=41VJUO0 SADL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-27-2020),inuvik (03-21-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just replaced the stock front speakers with cheap no-name 6 1/2 inch/16cm 3-way speakers, the pair cost €15.-(maybe 17 USDollars).
    The difference is absolutely enormous! The frequencies between about 2 to 5 kHz, being paramount for the understandability of human voice, have improved totally! Should have done this earlier.

Btw, didn't cut off the triangular bits, just effortlessly bent the triangles back. I also glued some plastic from an old plastic bag inside the door over the speakers, so they don't get wet. I used the same glue (one-component PU, the stuff coach builders and airplane makes use) for mounting the speakers. That way they don't rattle.
    I wouldn't have any scruples about cutting the holes, you certainly wouldn't want the stock speakers back any more, and there are more than plenty superior, cheap and suitable replacements.

I don't dream of putting concert hall audio performance into the car, you just can't beat physics. The goal was decent audio, no more.
    Last edited by foama; 04-27-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I mostly listen to audiobooks in the car. But I have to crank the volume to the MAXIMUM on the factory setup when I am driving with the window rolled down in the city. So I am still trying to decide which brand/model of speakers to buy.

I want the biggest size that will fit (reasonably) and will only be doing the fronts for now. Will keep the factory head unit

Would love to hear some suggestions of which brand/model to buy. For just ultra cheap I see these Kenwood KFC-1665R are usually available for under 20 bucks for the pair

UPDATE: Ended up buying an open box model of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-CSC65-Coaxial-Speakers-43CSC654/dp/B01MATSH7Y/

for $29

Will update after they arrive and after I finish the install

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Will update after they arrive and after I finish the install
    Looking forward to it. Be sure to post lots of pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I apologize if this is a stupid question but:

Are the rear speakers in the rear doors? And is the installation procedure exactly the same as the procedure for the front speakers?

Thanks, I am out of town and wont be near my car for 3 days (So I cannot actually look)

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)