Thread: Any way to turn on the navigation features of a SE radio?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any way to turn on the navigation features of a SE radio?

In the spring I upgraded my ES to a nicer SE carplay radio. I see that in nearly every other market this radio has navigation built in, but here in the USA, it's disabled as they say customers prefer to use the nav system in their phone.
    Well, I don't really use a phone, and I'd really love to have that built in navigation feature turned on! I've seen a few short videos on how to enter some hidden menus, but I haven't found on the could turn the system back on.

Anyone messed with this radio enough to know if its possible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Does the radio have a GPS antenna? I only have the basic radio so I'm not familiar with that unit. But it is my understanding that there are several display audio units, some of which don't do navigation. Not sure which one you have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does the radio have a GPS antenna? I only have the basic radio so I'm not familiar with that unit. But it is my understanding that there are several display audio units, some of which don't do navigation. Not sure which one you have.
    Yes, this one does have a GPS antenna attached to it. The only thing it currently does is set the date and clock, but it appears that this same radio does have a GPS mode activated. It sure would be nice to get that feature working without the hassle of having to bring a cell phone and the cables to hook it up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mmc-manuals might have some info on that unit. Look it up by part number I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    In the spring I upgraded my ES to a nicer SE carplay radio. I see that in nearly every other market this radio has navigation built in, but here in the USA, it's disabled as they say customers prefer to use the nav system in their phone.
    Well, I don't really use a phone, and I'd really love to have that built in navigation feature turned on! I've seen a few short videos on how to enter some hidden menus, but I haven't found on the could turn the system back on.

Anyone messed with this radio enough to know if its possible?
    Connect your phone if its either Android or IPhone and download Android Auto or Carplay and you can use navigation on your head unit.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Connect your phone if its either Android or IPhone and download Android Auto or Carplay and you can use navigation on your head unit.
    That's the part I'm trying to avoid. I don't really use a cell phone much and so it seems when ever I find myself needing the navigation, the phones at home and the radio can't do it without it.

I feel like there has to be a way to go in a turn it on as every other market uses the same model number but the screen shows navigation as an option on the home screen. In the hidden menu it even lists navigation but it says (Disabled). I just need to know what menu in the radio turns it back on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like there has to be a way to go in a turn it on as every other market uses the same model number
    What's your model number?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  87.8 KB

Here is the tag from it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would be willing to bet it doesn't support it. Maybe take the front panel off and see if there's a micro sd card hidden there because if so then maybe all it needs is the memory card to work.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    That's the part I'm trying to avoid. I don't really use a cell phone much and so it seems when ever I find myself needing the navigation, the phones at home and the radio can't do it without it...
    I was once in your situation back then, but alas, I gave in. Unfortunately, the advantages of using the phone (for me) outweighs using a built in Nav system, my pros and cons:

Pros:
    • Using Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze means having the most up to date road-to-road data of the locations, including constructions and traffic situation (crashes, speed cameras, and what not). As these are done in "the-background", you don't need to do anything to update it.
    • Can be used even without having an internet, you just need to download the map first on your Google Maps (no experience on Apple Maps/Carplay). In this aspect, google maps automatically updates your offline map I believe evert 30 days.
    • Satellite view.
    Cons:
    • internet connection (can be avoided, check above)
    • Accounts must(?) be registered and logged in your phone in order to use these services
    • Using built-in Navs means you only have the latest road-to-road data upon the latest map "update" of what you wull be installing in it. Means, new update, need to install, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
    • frequencyt of getting map update (how quick does it get produced, and installed on your system).

Mind you, its the same concept, but I did this with my wife's MY13 Outlander, retrofitted with a MY17 SDA Radio with Android Auto and Carplay.

But alas, to each their own.

• MY14 Mitsubishi Mirage - ES 1.2L CVT
    • MY13 Mitsubishi Outlander - ES 2.0L CVT
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Colt - LS CVT (written-off due to non-fault accident)
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Magna - Executive CVT (sold due to chugging fuel)

• Veepeak OBD BLE - CVTz50 (+other Android Apps)
    • Mini VCI / Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10 Pro x64