Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest project, interior LED lights for less than $20

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Beware that in luxury trim there is also a blue LED lighting the automatic gear box panel. That light stays on while driving with the headlights on. The others switch off when the interiour light switches off. At least that is what is happening in my Mirage. I think it was an official Mitsubishi dealer option that I ordered when I bought the car.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    Beware that in luxury trim there is also a blue LED lighting the automatic gear box panel. That light stays on while driving with the headlights on. The others switch off when the interiour light switches off. At least that is what is happening in my Mirage. I think it was an official Mitsubishi dealer option that I ordered when I bought the car.

Yes, you are right that there is a blue LED option that you can buy. I do not like the light staying on when the doors are closed (it is too much of a distraction to me) which is why I decided to do this on my own. Not to mention that doing it yourself is considerably cheaper. I REALLY need to do the write up on this and describe how I wired it all up.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-26-2014)

^^^ write-up...

Yes please!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Greenland
    Thanks
    Yes please!! I just bought these, thinking of doing the same! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  85.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  80.2 KB

Country
    Greenland
    Thanks
    Yes! My led's are here! I'm going to try this tomorrow! http://youtu.be/4D94yKVbIfg

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, just real quick, here is what you have to do.

1. pull the cargo light out. Using a meter and with the light on, find the negative wire. You will need to tap into this wire and use it to trigger the relay.

2. Run the wire to the front of the car.

3. I pulled a constant hot wire from the fuse box with a fuse tap and ran that to the relay to both power the LED lights, but also connected it to one side of the coil on the relay. The wire ran from the back of the car gets hooked up to the other side of the relay coil. This way, since the car uses the ground as the switched wire for the lights (positive is always sent to the lights all the time), you are wiring the relay up as a negative trigger.

4. Find a good surface to mount the LED lights to. I mounted mine to a plastic, removable tray under the dash on the driver's side, then on the passenger side I mounted them to a metal bar going across under the dash.

5. Zip tie all the wires out of sight and clear of the gas/brake/clutch and steering so the wires do not get wrapped up or tangled causing problems.

6. open and close the door a few times to check everything out.

If you turn the dome light on, it will not turn on the floor lights. I like it like this because the only time I need to turn the dome light on is when I'm driving. Any other time when any of the doors open, the LED lights will turn on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2015)

Country
    Greenland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Ok, just real quick, here is what you have to do.

1. pull the cargo light out. Using a meter and with the light on, find the negative wire. You will need to tap into this wire and use it to trigger the relay.

2. Run the wire to the front of the car.

3. I pulled a constant hot wire from the fuse box with a fuse tap and ran that to the relay to both power the LED lights, but also connected it to one side of the coil on the relay. The wire ran from the back of the car gets hooked up to the other side of the relay coil. This way, since the car uses the ground as the switched wire for the lights (positive is always sent to the lights all the time), you are wiring the relay up as a negative trigger.

4. Find a good surface to mount the LED lights to. I mounted mine to a plastic, removable tray under the dash on the driver's side, then on the passenger side I mounted them to a metal bar going across under the dash.

5. Zip tie all the wires out of sight and clear of the gas/brake/clutch and steering so the wires do not get wrapped up or tangled causing problems.

6. open and close the door a few times to check everything out.

If you turn the dome light on, it will not turn on the floor lights. I like it like this because the only time I need to turn the dome light on is when I'm driving. Any other time when any of the doors open, the LED lights will turn on.

Wow! I need pictures to be able understand that ��

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MEL For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-01-2016)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Wow! I need pictures to be able understand that ��

I'll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. I might have to wait though as I got a steroid injection in my foot today so the next couple of days are going to be difficult for me to get around.

Country
    Greenland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I'll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. I might have to wait though as I got a steroid injection in my foot today so the next couple of days are going to be difficult for me to get around.
    Nice! Thanks!

So, they only light up when the doors opens, with that setup? (:

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Nice! Thanks!

So, they only light up when the doors opens, with that setup? (:

Yes, that is correct. I also wired up 2 more auxillary 3 LED light strips in the cargo area that is also wired up the same so I have more light in the back. I want to add some LED lights somewhere around the back seat but I have not found a good place to mount them yet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

MEL (12-11-2014)