Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Uh-oh, CVT problems! (Update: replaced under warranty)

Country
    Lebanon
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hello! I'm having the same issue. My Mirage is a 2014 model. The "D", "N" and "R" started blinking. I took it to the Company garage. They said they updated the electronic system...1 week later it started again like 3 times and the fourth time, the check engine lamp lighted...It's been 1 week since I dropped my car...they are saying that they are testing...they said it could be the whole cvt..I dunno it doesn't make sense, I've only ride like 45.000 km and I did all my check-ups on time...Any idea how much it will cost to replace the cvt? I no longer have warranty, it expired after 3 years ((

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Vanessa. The cost of a replacement CVT is very expensive. Probably more than €3000.00. If the CVT has never had a fluid and filter change I would start there. There are actually 2 filters. A upper cartridge filter and lower pan filter. It is also critical that the proper CVT fluid is used also. If you do a search on here you will find some helpful threads with information to tell the mechanics. Again, welcome aboard the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Lebanon
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Welcome to the forum Vanessa. The cost of a replacement CVT is very expensive. Probably more than €3000.00. If the CVT has never had a fluid and filter change I would start there. There are actually 2 filters. A upper cartridge filter and lower pan filter. It is also critical that the proper CVT fluid is used also. If you do a search on here you will find some helpful threads with information to tell the mechanics. Again, welcome aboard the forum!
    Thank you! Well in 2016 at the 30.000 km check up, they changed the CVT fluid...I dunno about the filter...will see what happens...thanks again!

Oddly enough all 3 of our cvt failures occured not long after the cvt fluid was replaced. Normally I'd blame the guy who did it but I used fluid that met the proper spec and double checked the level, hot and cold. I replaced the fluid in the first 2 cause it was black, because damage was already done and it contaminated the fluid. They crapped out within weeks. The third was replaced just because it was due.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Any thoughts on using Mitsubishi CVT fluid?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Any thoughts on using Mitsubishi CVT fluid?
    Thought about it, I didn't change the cvt fluid til 200k kms on the highest mileage car. It crapped out 100k kms after that. This latest car had dark fluid(mitsubishi fluid) well before that and was likely making noise at that time as well and I just wasn't told about it. (Because it's not their car...) I'm still pretty doubtful that a different fluid would have prevented one bearing from crapping out. Though Mitsubishi will likely argue differently I'm sure. For those doing their own service though, save yourself a ton of headaches and just use the crap from the dealership I guess. And if you service your own car(cvt fluid changes), good luck getting any warranty coverage period for the cvt. It says in the manual to either get the dealer or a shop to service cvt.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Try aisin cfex. Its better than mitsubishi j4.

2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)